Training a bounce fence...

How many of you use grid work when training your showjumper?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

meandmyconnie

Visit site
It's time to introduce something new to my 7yo's showjumping training! She's perfect at grids - in fact they're her favorite thing to do, and she literally has wings (my choice of explanation is a simple - 'She's a Connie' to which people usually say 'Ohhhhh, makes sense'.)

Recently my trainer has asked me to practice some bounce fences with Dusty. However bounces for us often end in poles flying around and a rather scared dun thing having a mental breakdown in the corner (*may have exaggerated this slightly* ;D).

My instructor asked us to gradually decrease the striding until we have a bounce but Dusty really seems to just, not get it.

Are there any exercises that could help to get her brain around it? Anything anyone else has tried with their horses, successfully, or any 'mind-tricks' which will help her out?

Thank you, in advance! x

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Start with poles on the ground with wings beside them then raise the second part slightly then the first and so on.

Must admit the first time over a bounce with my new and very scopy horse (competed up to 1.40m BS prior to me getting him) I did ask my coach if there are bounces in BS. He didn't tell me there weren't until we got over it unscathed. I had visions of him clearing it in a one-r! He must know about them tho as he was able to bounce through a sunken road his first time xc schooling as well!

rara007

Visit site
Build up (the height and obviously distance) from canter poles :) Start with 3, then progress to the middle one being raised then the back 2, so you still have a placing pole.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Do you have the facilities to loose school? You could set up a grid that allows you adjust the distances easily and let her find her feet naturally. Mind give you a better view of why she's not quite getting them.

PorkChop

Visit site
Don't think of them as bounces, just as raised canter poles. Start with them on the ground, then tiny cross poles and increase the height as she gains confidence :)

ihatework

Visit site
Your instructor asked you to gradually decrease the stride distance until you have a bounce?! I sincerely hope I have read that wrong!! If I haven't then sack your instructor, no wonder you have a confused horse!

A bounce distance is a bounce distance! Can be ever so slightly tweaked depending on what you want to fine tune, but that is the next step in training.

As others have said, set up canter poles, add wings and then gradually raise the poles.

be positive

Visit site
Your instructor asked you to gradually decrease the stride distance until you have a bounce?! I sincerely hope I have read that wrong!! If I haven't then sack your instructor, no wonder you have a confused horse!

A bounce distance is a bounce distance! Can be ever so slightly tweaked depending on what you want to fine tune, but that is the next step in training.

As others have said, set up canter poles, add wings and then gradually raise the poles.

I agree, I read it the same as ihatework and thought it was the most ridiculous idea ever, totally wrong, dangerous and definitely not something I would ever do, you always start with poles, gradually raise them but keep the distance correct for the individual horse so they understand from the start that there is no room for a stride, if done properly most get it in one session, all the ones I have schooled have had no problem, ponies are usually even quicker to pick it up than horses.

meandmyconnie

Visit site

Oh wow really. I've got a new problem!

meandmyconnie

Visit site
Start with poles on the ground with wings beside them then raise the second part slightly then the first and so on.

Must admit the first time over a bounce with my new and very scopy horse (competed up to 1.40m BS prior to me getting him) I did ask my coach if there are bounces in BS. He didn't tell me there weren't until we got over it unscathed. I had visions of him clearing it in a one-r! He must know about them tho as he was able to bounce through a sunken road his first time xc schooling as well!

Yes just as others have said - I'll give this a go this weekend! Ahaha great story! Good job he knew what they were! :) x

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
surely you start with canter poles and raise them slowly?

The concept of shortening the striding incremently seems a pretty terrifying prospect which at best will lead to a confused pony, at worse and an accident.

smja

Visit site
surely you start with canter poles and raise them slowly?

The concept of shortening the striding incremently seems a pretty terrifying prospect which at best will lead to a confused pony, at worse and an accident.

Yes, this.

Remember as well that bounce fences must be ridden with energy but not speed - so many people either kill the canter in a subconscious attempt to 'hold' the horse into not putting in a short stride, or pushing on so much that horse thinks they're to try and take it as a wide spread.

crabbymare

Visit site
this is for me quite scary because if this is what the trainer really meant then they could cause a nasty accident. and since its normally the sort of thing that is copied there could easily be others training the same way :( there could easily be a lot of horses at best getting confused and ending up not wanting to go near a double as they will have totally lost their confidence

Lyle

Visit site
Like any new exercise with a green horse, you start off as poles. Set a bounce distance for poles and gradually raise them. Don't shorten a one stride double! THe last thing you want is your horse thinking it can put in a stride because it managed to last time! I like having a placing pole in front of a bounce, so as others have suggested use 3 poles and gradually raise the back 2.