Training Abroad

dressager

Visit site
If I was to pack my bags and turn up (without my horse) at a dressage yard in Germany or Holland to train/work/volunteer with no time restrictions, where should I go and why?

All I want is riding experience and tuition, plus accomodation on site or cheaply close by. I do keep my eye on Yard and Groom too.

I had planned on going to Verden but the riding school part is closed this year :-(

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
I don't think with or without a horse would make a difference, except that in some places having your own horse would be a way of guaranteeing you get daily training / daily riding.

But I assume your horse could always join you at a later stage.

As long as you do not expect a full wage (in Germany, to be employed as a rider you would need at least a qualification as a Bereiter), you'll find plenty of places are delighted to take you on as a 'working pupil' so to speak, with pocket money, accommodation (which is often lovely, at least the places I've seen!), some meals etc.

You would have to ride youngsters, though (the words "cannon fodder" spring to mind)

ETA: If you want to pursue the Bereitership, general consensus seems to be that doing it down South (and sitting the exam in Munich) is marginally easier / more approachable than doing it in Warendorf. Having seen people who have qualified from both places, I would say that in my limited experience there seems to be a fundament of truth to this.

Last edited:

classicalfan

Visit site
Not a good idea just to turn up unless you don't mind sleeping rough and travelling around a foreign country until you find something! Much better to do a bit of homework first; target the yards you want to work at and contact them directly.