Training advice

ChelseaGostomska

Visit site
Hello,
I’m wondering if anyone may be able to share their own experiences or provide advice.

I have a trainer and am on a professional yard and advice has already been given but I’d like to know what else other people may suggest.

I have a 5yr mare warmblood, she can be nappy around the gate and understandably does not like leaving the yard in her own. When I ask her to walk out of the yard either to the school or for a hack she will refuse and I can feel her bunch up. The more pressure I apply she will eventually lift her front feet of the ground in protest, this can also happen if she is leaving a horse / group.

She is a sensitive mare and if I take a lead either a human or horse she is as good as gold but I’d like her to be able to do this on her own.

Any suggestions that do not require a human on the ground or a lead from another horse?

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Id just stay aboard and keep trying, little bits at a time are wins… BB used to be like this, and now we can practically go anywhere. Its all about staying calm and very confident. Use treats to reward her , and when she even goes 500yards , make a big fuss of her and praise her. Persevere and you will get there

scats

Visit site
I have a nappy mare who used to think nothing of standing bolt upright in protest. Any leg got that reaction so I just learnt to sit it out. If she kicked off, I’d sit quietly and just make her stand still. After a few minutes and when I sensed her boredom, I’d either give a wiggle in my saddle and tell her to walk on, or just use one leg and gently ask her. Any forwards got a big pat and fuss. If she kicked off again, more standing and waiting.

A few times this wasn’t possible, due to where she had stopped, so I’d hop off fuss-free, lead her forwards to a better place, and hop back on. Nine times out of ten she would just go then without issue.

Honestly, getting off, leading and getting back on isn’t a cop out. I found that sorted out 95% of her napping and I really didn’t have to do it that much in the end.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I would get to the place she starts to act up, take all pressure off and ask her to stand. Don't let her move any other way than forward but with no pressure. You could be there a long time but that approach worked with my warmblood when all else failed.