Training aid for youngster

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
I've started lunging the stroppy 3 yr old and she's come on ok over the last week or so but could do with being a little more 'round'. Problem is she's pretty big (16.2hh) still got some growing to do and is obviously unbalanced so is over-reaching etc.

Is there a training aid (pessoa type thingy) that anyone would recommend? At the moment we have a very basic pair of side reins! I think a chambon would be a waste of time as it would just pull in the front end rather than bring her quarters in too??

For reference, the plan is just to lightly back her ie, tack etc but not to actually ride her this year - she's going to be turned away again in a few weeks.

All suggestions gratefully received......

SillyMare

Visit site
Does she need to be 'round' at this stage? If she still has growing to do then she will struggle to carry herself properly anyway.

Might be better to concentrate on her obedience and keeping her thinking positively forwards.

I would just suggest side reins to keep her straight on the lunge (not fitted too tightly).

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
My thoughts were that if she was a little rounder she would be able to carry herself a little better..... She does go forwards fine and the side reins are also fine.....

I'm not too fussed if we come up with nothing - we'll just carry on the way we're going - was just curious for other folkies opinions
smile.gif

Silverspring

Visit site
I find the chambon works really well, it really encourages them to lower and relax through the neck and engage the quarters. It's really quite passive too for a young horse and she is unlikely to fight it
smile.gif
I am anti pessoa myself as I feel they are a tad aggressive in the action they produce.

I don't think it's ever to early to get them thinking long and low so they start to build stomach muscles, always handy for when you jump on the back
smile.gif