Training an older rescue dog to loose lead walk

MarvelVillis

Visit site
Some of you may remember my post earlier this year about our rescue lab cross from Cyprus, Digby. We've had him about 8 months now and happy to say he's settled in so well and has come a long way since we picked him up back in January. Saying that though he's been a really good boy on the whole - expect the digging in the garden to get to the cat in the hedge! He seemed to settle in so quickly, we can leave him for a few hours without any trouble (although this isn't very common), he cracked house training really quickly and he is a super loveable boy who loves snuggling up on the sofa in the evenings. He's also really good at the yard when I take him, and no longer barks at my gelding! Although I have to keep him on the lead else he'll be off chasing rabbits.

He's much better on his walks now. He used to find them very exciting and would bark/lunge at any other dog in the park to say hello (in a non aggressive way). We're also making progress on recall training and are able to let him off the lead for short periods if the environment is not too stimulating and we can maintain his attention with treats.

The only thing which needs some work is pulling on the lead. When we first got him we had one of the rope leads that acts as a loop around their neck. He had a bit of a cough when he first arrived (wasn't Kennel Cough and cleared up quickly) and so we got him a harness so we weren't pulling him around his neck constantly. I think this may have developed the pulling habit though, as being a lab cross as he can be strong and I think the harness may have encouraged him to pull. He is better if we just use a lead attached to his collar, but still pulls.

What's the best way to train loose lead walking? Is a collar/lead the best for walking? Are there any good YouTube videos or is it best to find a trainer for some classes? Luckily he is very food orientated and picks up new things that we teach him quickly. My old spaniel who we sadly lost last year and our current daxie were both very good on the lead, but we did have them both from puppies so were able to ensure they walked nicely from their first walks.

I'm currently expecting so would love to get it sorted for when the baby is here, and I'm trying to navigate the park with a pram also!

Adding some photos of him as he's such a gorgeous boy!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

MarvelVillis

Visit site
I forgot to mention we have tried the 'heel' command, so pulling him back when he starts to pull and praising him when he's not pulling, but he seems to go back into pull mode straight away. If he's on/off the lead and we say 'click', he comes over straight away for a treat but if he's on the lead, he goes back to pulling straight away. We've been doing both for a few months now and don't seem to be making progress with continual loose lead walking.

Karran

Visit site
Have you tried just turning in the opposite direction when he pulls? Like a complete 90 degree or 180 turn? It helped with Mrs Collie although I got very dizzy and looked a right twit for ages just marching up and down the road!

I also heavily employed bribery, and would use her kibble to slip through my fingers when she was in the "correct" place and she soon clicked onto the idea that if she was in the right place food magically appears!

MarvelVillis

Visit site
Have you tried just turning in the opposite direction when he pulls? Like a complete 90 degree or 180 turn? It helped with Mrs Collie although I got very dizzy and looked a right twit for ages just marching up and down the road!

I also heavily employed bribery, and would use her kibble to slip through my fingers when she was in the "correct" place and she soon clicked onto the idea that if she was in the right place food magically appears!
We haven't tried this actually, I'll give it a go later (I can imagine I'll get very dizzy too!) but will give everything a go, thank you

skinnydipper

Visit site
In addition to Karran's advice. If Digby pulls then you stand still, hold the leash with your hands held at your waist and don't move until the leash goes slack, then move forward. The dog only gets where he want to go if the leash is loose.

Don't worry, you haven't taught him to pull by having him in a harness.

Use an X or Y shaped harness as these do not restrict full flexion and extension of shoulder.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It's pressure and release training the same as you would do with a horse, as mentioned, slack line = movement, tense line = no movement. It's up to you how you administer that, stopping, circles, changing direction etc.
A lot of dogs pull to evade pressure/escape restraint from the leash, not realising it is their own movement which is making the feeling of restraint.
They need to be taught otherwise and you are going to have to put 'normal' walks on the back burner for a while and do training walks instead (although this will helpfully tire him out more).
With my young bitch if she pulls, we stop. Loose line walking and coming back to me is rewarded with some of her daily ration of food.
I would also generally use part of daily ration of food to reward being around me and paying attention to me generally, offlead, around house etc.
If he has had some reinforcement of 'if I pull, I get to where I want to be anyway' then it might take a bit longer.
I prefer collar and lead as harness is attached to strongest part of dog.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
He is gorgeous!

We re-trained Harvey (he's a lab) when we got him (he was 4yo). SD and CC have said exactly what I was going to, but if you want, I can make you some videos to show you it in action. He is great on lead now and quite often walks off lead in many places.

I think they should only be used under guidance (as with any training aid), but we have a TTouch harness that would probably fit him that is no longer used. It has front and back loops for clips as we did some loose lead walking with a previous dog with one lead attached both ends. He was a very unique dog and there were other reasons for doing that also, so probably not wholly useful for you. You will be able to get loose lead walking without it for sure.

Clodagh

Visit site
I’m with Karran, my neighbours think I’m insane zig zagging and turning every 5 metres.
You just have to be more persistent than they are.
Im glad he’s settled in well.