Training break young horse

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
Hello everyone, just looking for a some thoughts on giving an 18hh ID aged 5.5 years old a training break.
He is not particularly forward going and was really hard work in a prelim test last week. Someone said it may be worth laying him off for a couple of months to do some physical and mental growing.
Your thoughts about and ideas please.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think breaks help some horses a great deal .
As long as your horse is at the stage where your confident they are settled with the first stage of backing by that I mean you can tack up and get on them confident that they are calm and well mannered it can help the horse a lot to take a break .
Always always do a quick recap when you start them off again don't just get straight back on just in case .

tristar

Visit site
do something different, loose jumping, hacking with lots of cantering, fun but at the same time getting him forward thinking, 20 x 40 is very small for a horse that size.

you know it needs addressing when it becomes hard work in the arena

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
We don't have a school so most of our schooling is done hacking. I do borrow a neighbour's 40x20 about once a fortnight, the rest is 2 or 3 riding club sessions a month, shift work allowing!

He was backed at 3 by his breeder and re started coming up 4 by the people I bought him from who also sent him off for 3 months professional schooling when he was 4. Then his brain fell out at 4 and a half!

He had a couple of months off last spring, and has worked steadily through summer to now. He will be 6 in June and I am just aware that he is a big lad who keeps on growing �� not sure if he will ever stop! But I'm hoping to have a fun horse for many years to come and want to do the right thing now!

Jnhuk

Visit site
Think bigger horses and esp later maturing ones can benefit from some time off and they can often come back after the break better.

However I think some light hacking whilst during that time can also be done just to keep things ticking along. ID can be quite late maturiting and some time to allow them to grow in to themselves never did my ID any harm mentally or physically

Last edited:

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I gave a young horse about 6-8 weeks a few months after I purchased him. His feet were awful and I needed to start sorting him out. His feet enjoyed the rest and he grew 2"!!! :)

My mare was a late maturer and had a few months off over the worst winter months to help her fill out.

vam

Visit site
I'm just starting to bring mine back into work after a 6 week break. She will be 6 in May this year. She is going to do a bit of in hand work then light, short walk sessions under saddle until the chiro sees her next week then I'll bringing her back into work properly.
Reason being she is a big mare and I felt that a break would do her no harm, she is established enough that I'm not worried I will have to start from scratch. She has grown a bit, got a bit fat and is now looking a bit bored so back into work for her. She will get a couple of weeks here and there through the year and possibly some more time off next winter, I will play it by ear.

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
I am happy that he is well established so I think a month off and if he gets really bored then a gentle hack now and then sounds like a plan.

I would like him to fill out but not grow any taller as he is already a bit of a freak at 18hh!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Now is an ideal time for a break. The weather is against us and can only get worse, use it to your advantage would be my thoughts. Your lad will be 6 + before he strengthens and can cope with regular work.

ironhorse

Visit site
I would give him a break now and then look at doing some more varied work when he comes back in. I helped a friend with a 5yo part draught - he's obviously been backed quickly and put up for sale because he was quiet enough, but was so green and unbalanced (especially in the school) and was a thug when he got a bit fitter! We didn't have the option to turn away but stuck to basics and hacking over the winter and then spent the summer doing fun rides and getting out to low key shows. The fun rides in particular taught him so much in terms of confidence and improved his balance no end.