Training for 18 month old...

AppleAlexis

Visit site
Hi,

I have an 18 month old filly who lives out but is very well handled and I am looking for the best things to train her on.

I only do training with her once every 6 weeks or so as I don't want to over load her but so far she has been halter broke, shown, loaded in trailers and wagons, traveled quietly and calmly, and this weekend I decided to try her in a little bridle for in hand showing and she didn't bat an eye lid.

What is the next step?

ihatework

Visit site
IMO no more than you are doing now.
As long as she is a nice person to be around and handle then leave her be until you break her in!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Agree very strongly with IHW. Leave her alone to be a horse. She will never forget what you have taught her already but she doesn't need anything else at all else you run the risk of souring her by filling her brain with too many things.

madlady

Visit site
The only thing I would add to what you are already doing is 'scary' stuff - tarps, umbrella's, plastic bags etc

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My 17 month old filly does nothing other than farrier, groom and lead in a polite manner which includes doing gates properly.

She was led across the yard the other weekend when the lorry was parked up with it's ramp down, her curiosity took her over to it and after a good sniff and stamp on the ramp she climbed aboard without being asked. I will leave you to guess the breed !

The 15 month old gelding does more because he is nervous. He is caught and groomed/handled every day and if frightening things are going on in the yard, like strimming or mowing etc he comes in to watch. He also stands next door to a horse being clipped or shod. This is only done because he was feral and a lot of thought has to go into his up bringing.

AppleAlexis

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

I understand it is all a matter of opinion but she is very intelligent and I want to keep her mind active. She never freaks out or says no so I don't want to push her too far.

Around xmas I will have a play with scary things.

Out of interest...what is the breed of your inquisitive filly?

elijahasgal

Visit site
About 18months, I would have done what you have done (or aimed to have) but not do "specific" training times, but a little something each time i am round them, so they get used to moving away front and back, or going backwards, to pressure. Scary things incorperated into daily life, plastic bags tied to fences so the flap in the wind, just when grooming, if i get warm, throw coat on back, but the main thing i would do is take them out for in hand walks, usually with company, for 10-15 mins away from the yard. As a 2yo I would like them to have had at least one outing to a show, and i may slip a light saddle on them, and let them wander in a school with it for a short while. Introduce boots. let them play out in them. But from what you say, you are doing right, she is accepting, so I would guess that you are very calm and natural about how you do things.
My whole aim is that when it comes to backing it is just one more small step in mums silly games, rather than help here is everything all at once!!!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Well the only other thing I do is go for walks around the housing estates. This will stop soon as over winter she will be left to it apart from being checked twice a day.

The other day we accidentally went for an hours walk! I only usually do 10 mins max but we were stranded in a lane with cows coming towards us from a neighbouring farm so had to go the long way around. She was very tired and I felt very bad but she is no worse for the experience.

I feed her sometimes from a plastic bag so if she hears the rustle she knows its carrots. I make her walk over her rug, when I take it off I put it on the ground and lead her over it. Apart from her giving me looks like I am weird she really doesn't seem to care.