Training question - what do you do with just broken youngster

Mrs C

Visit site
Hi all. My friends youngster was broken and ridden away w/t/c in the school only, then turned away over winter.
She has since had an injury and has asked if I want to get her going March time. I've no experience with youngsters and would of course have her and my instructor helping but I'm really interested in what your standard routine or plan is when you start riding your youngsters? Thanks

daffy44

Visit site
In this situation I would expect the horse to be rebacked first as it just did the basics last year, and will then have had approx 6 months off.

Personally, I ride four yr olds four times a week, a work day, hack day, rest day, work day, hack day, weekend off, the horse spends the rest of its time in the field as much as possible, either out 24/7 or out during the day, in at night or vice versa, depending on what suits the horse best.

When I say a work day, I mean approx 20/25 mins in the school, doing basic school figures, just going forwards, making nice basic transitions, sometimes a work day will include poles and small simple jumps, sometimes just on the flat, but nothing too strenuous either way. Hacking is also kept pretty simple, and not a gazillion miles or anything too wild and hectic. If all this is going to plan then after a couple of months or so I would want to take the horse to do an arena hire, or a lesson away from home, still keeping it very simple, but just giving the horse some life experience.

Everyone will have different theories as to what they prefer to do with young horses, but this is the method that has worked best for me, but it is not the only way, but whatever you do, try to keep giving the horse good, positive, confidence giving experiences without putting too much stress on either its body or mind.

Mrs C

Visit site
Daffy44 that's really helpful thanks. Do you had alone or in company or both?

Little bear, yes she's rising 4

Iznurgle

Visit site
My method is very similar to Daffy, and I try to hack both alone and in company - ideally alternating regularly to avoid napping when out alone after a few hacks with company. Keep it simple and comfortable for a few months, and then gradually increase work as the horse learns. Don't stress about big jumps or huge amounts of stamina just yet.

daffy44

Visit site
Daffy44 that's really helpful thanks. Do you had alone or in company or both?

Little bear, yes she's rising 4

No problem Mrs C, ideally I want the horse hacking out happily both alone and in company, depending on the horse it may take time to build up to this, but thats fine, be patient, you are laying the foundations for the horses future ridden career, and you want to make them a nice, well rounded individual.

tristar

Visit site
hacking out alone is my priority, its a test, as a breeder i need to test for confidence in all circumstances, no nervy ones here, all the greatest trainers talk about work on straight lines in the early stages, but proceed within the horses ability is a good way forward with what you introduce as schooling

Goldenstar

Visit site
I never bother with hacking alone until the horse is five .
I like much established before I go out alone .
I do ride in the fields on my own but not on the road .
in the situation I describe a horse would have a recap of all its initial training as if it was not backed before we carefully got back on I would then hack in company ,school twice a week and start pole work .

lannerch

Visit site
I have a rising 4 youngster and the plan this year is to mainly hack out with only a small amount of school work with the minimum of circles . She already hacks out by herself and is learning to be a very brave individual, she also hacks in company. There is a lot you can teach on a hack without risking the joints by too much . She will also get short breaks throughout the year .

Last edited:

Lyle

Visit site
Enough schooling to have go/stop/turn established and consistent. After that....
Miles under the feet: hacking over a variety of terrains, banks, small ditches, water. Obstacles at a slow pace with time to sort out their feet.
Mine is five rides a week, one or two ‘schooling’ I.e ‘cruising’ in a pace (not breaking up or down) stop, turn. Practice all this when out in the paddock or hacking.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If you have no experience with youngsters, unless the horse is exceptionally easy, I would send back to the people who broke her to re-start for 6 weeks. In that time, I would expect them to start long reining, re-back, get her going again w/t/c in the school, plus have first accompanied hacks where it is quiet.

Then you will have a lovely project in spring, with all the foundations in place.

Mrs C

Visit site
If it is not 4 until Spring 2021 I would be leaving it in the field until the weather warms up and surfaces are safe if you are hacking out. Then a re back and ride away in decent weather when you know you can be consistent with the work routine.
Won't be started anything until end of March earliest/whenever she can be back out 24/7 as currently comes in overnight :)