training schedule for 4 year old Connemara Mare

Bellax

New User
Visit site
Hi I have had the fab offer of buying a 3 year old Connemara Mare She is turned out at the moment just putting weight on.
I am just curious about what I could do with her next year.

I am interested in doing working hunter, showing and a bit of showjumping and cross country schooling with her next year.

what would be a good training schedule for her.

the year after that I will be wanting to event her.

shes very mature in herself so isn't really baby brained.

Bellax

New User
Visit site
the questions I am wondering is

what would be a good training sheldule?
what would be the highest you competed her in workers/jumpers

be positive

Visit site
You really cannot have a set plan with youngsters, she may be ready to do all you want but equally may have a set back and require longer, I usually do plenty of polework at an early stage, sometimes before they even start cantering, see how they take to baby fences and build up from there while they are also getting out hacking, growing up and generally being educated, if they are ready then a few outings are fine, if not it is best to wait rather than rush on with your plans, some learn far faster than others and I don't like to put too much pressure on a 4 year old to fit into what may be beyond it's capabilities.

There is no reason to think she cannot do what you want but be prepared to take a step or two back to keep building their confidence, how high she will jump is irrelevant at this early stage but most will go up to 1m within a sensible time frame.

gallopingby

Visit site
Connemaras are late maturing whatever she may look like. Best to take things slowly and she will go on for many years. I certainly wouldn't be looking at jumping anything other than novice classes whether workers or jumping. Just because she could do something doesn't means she has to - think about the future, take your time and you'll probably end up with a better long term outcome. If you want to do more buy an older pony!!

only_me

Visit site
You can't really plan what you will do with a 4 year old.
Your basic aims should be to establish a contact, get her hacking and working in straight lines for first half of year and establish paces and then jump but that will depend entirely on feel. Aim will to be building her confidence up, which will involve doing a variety of very low level activities. I wouldn't be riding her everyday and tbh would be doing very little work in the school.

I think there are 4 year old show classes but tbh I wouldn't really be aiming to compete her until summer at least as you will just want to get her out and about to experience life.
Connies brains tend to mature faster than their bodies so it can be a bit more challenging to keep them stimulated!

SpringArising

Visit site
My 4.5yo is being worked about four times a week. Usually once on the lunge over poles/groundwork, twice in the school (polework/flatwork/jumping for about half hour a session) and one long hack a week.

I like to keep things short and interesting for him. I'm also just about to start taking him to a few XC outings and low level (70-80) SJ comps for experience. I intend to keep his workload easy but varied until his six year old year when I'll get a bit more serious with him (providing he doesn't 'horse' and break, obviously ;))

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Well, you can go balls out, compete in novice ridden and WHP from 1st January, then go to camps and be completing 80s if not 90s by end of the summer...
And if you do, I wish your pony all the best, it's likely to need to be sold on by 5 before it breaks - if it hasn't already.

Good advice further up, they mature late, slowly build up over next 2 to 3 years, never over asking, aim to start reaching for eventing at the back end of the 7yr old year.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Gosh sounds like your schedule needs to be fairly packed to event by next year.... if you don’t break first your baby horse will. Good advice up above. Take it easy and reap the rewards later.

SpringArising

Visit site
Gosh sounds like your schedule needs to be fairly packed to event by next year.... if you don’t break first your baby horse will. Good advice up above. Take it easy and reap the rewards later.

The OP asked for things she could do with the horse next year to get her ready to event the year AFTER that - so her five year old year. Not this one coming.

I hardly think jumping 60cms here and there is going to break the horse. I find it interesting how it's usually amateur riders and owners who assume that, too (not a personal pop at you, just as general observation coming from a fellow amateur...)

Bellax

New User
Visit site
The OP asked for things she could do with the horse next year to get her ready to event the year AFTER that - so her five year old year. Not this one coming.

I hardly think jumping 60cms here and there is going to break the horse. I find it interesting how it's usually amateur riders and owners who assume that, too (not a personal pop at you, just as general observation coming from a fellow amateur...)

Hi thank you I’m just st wanting to get her used to going out places next year I’ll probally do some showing just for fun and maybe local jumping shows a couple of times and the odd Xc school