Training/schooling a gaited horse

Palindrome

Visit site
I have started schooling my 6 years old who has been a happy hacker from 4 to 6. The plan is to get him do a small course of jumps but he really needs some schooling before that, to be working on the bit and become more obedient (instead of just waving his head when I ask him to slow down or motorbike the corners).

However, he has a 4th gait, similar to a trot but lateral (amble?). This gait is very comfortable to sit to while hacking but not desirable for schooling as he lifts his head and he is not working through like he does in trot. He also tends to quickly switch between trot, amble and canter if he gets unbalanced or tired. I am looking for ideas of exercises or advice on how to help him to regulate his paces and transition from one to another.

A little pic of Mr spider legs :
IMG_5544.JPG

Jellymoon

Visit site
Is he a gaited breed? I actually don’t have any experience of them myself, so can’t help, but I was chatting to someone the other day who breeds Rocky Mountain Horses...I understand from what she was saying that they can be trained to switch between the gait (tolt?) and the trot. If I were you I would try to speak to someone who has experience with them.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If you are on Facebook you will find the Icelandic horse people very supportive. There is a group called Icelandic horse horse chat UK iirc with lots of people that will help you.
I have had Icelandics but currently have an Icelandic cross Welsh Cob who has pace and tolt and all things inbetween as well as ordinary gaits. Do you know what your chap has in his breeding ?standardbred?
if I want to keep him in trot I try to keep him round and working over his back but like you when his head raises he will go into a four beat or pace if he is tense.
Introduce yourself and I'm sure you will get lots of help. This is my beastie.RSCN1232~2.JPG

Last edited:

Palindrome

Visit site
Is he a gaited breed? I actually don’t have any experience of them myself, so can’t help, but I was chatting to someone the other day who breeds Rocky Mountain Horses...I understand from what she was saying that they can be trained to switch between the gait (tolt?) and the trot. If I were you I would try to speak to someone who has experience with them.

He is a French trotter with some American Standardbred lines, I am guessing the extra gait comes from the Standardbred but it also just happens sometimes in trotters.

If he is naturally gaited then it's best to firmly differentiate between trot and amble. Generally gaited horses need to raise their heads and necks in order to move laterally, so making that the aid for the gait is a good signal.

Thank you, I will try to be firmer on the transitions as so far I have left him choose the gait as long as I chose the speed but I now need to refine the control a bit. Yes, he is naturally gaited although that's rare in French trotters. I bought him unseen at 3 with the hope of doing dressage but I don't think we will be able to with the extra gait, hence going for jumping instead.

If you are on Facebook you will find the Icelandic horse people very supportive. There is a group called Icelandic horse horse chat UK iirc with lots of people that will help you.
I have had Icelandics but currently have an Icelandic cross Welsh Cob who has pace and tolt and all things inbetween as well as ordinary gaits. Do you know what your chap has in his breeding ?standardbred?
if I want to keep him in trot I try to keep him round and working over his back but like you when his head raises he will go into a four beat or pace if he is tense.

Thank you, I'll join the group. Your boy is really cute.
I have ridden icelandic horses and a fox trotter but the aim was to make them tolt/fox trot, here I am wanting to trot instead but we often get legs all over the place. I can't imagine having to manage 5 gaits!

I am thinking exercises with ground poles/raised pole could help his schooling too.

Palindrome

Visit site
I have now ordered the book, I hope we can make it work, otherwise I'll have to sell him and he is a lovely boy so I'd rather not.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have competed both TWH's and Saddlebreds at low level dressage (in America) with some success. With proper training it is perfectly possible to use just the three "normal" (boring) W/T/C gaits, and save the other gears for parties :cool:.

IME gaited horses have been amongst the most generous, compliant, and generally just plain pleasant horses that I've ever worked with. I'd have another one in a heartbeat.

Gloi

Visit site
I have now ordered the book, I hope we can make it work, otherwise I'll have to sell him and he is a lovely boy so I'd rather not.
I have had a copy for a few years and often return to it, really good tips in there though it does concentrate on getting a good four beat gait it explains things well.
Good luck. There's also loads of training stuff on YouTube that's worth watching.
I'd always pick a gaited pony/horse now I've spent time riding them.

Gloi

Visit site
He is a French trotter with some American Standardbred lines, I am guessing the extra gait comes from the Standardbred but it also just happens sometimes in trotters.

Thank you, I will try to be firmer on the transitions as so far I have left him choose the gait as long as I chose the speed but I now need to refine the control a bit. Yes, he is naturally gaited although that's rare in French trotters. I bought him unseen at 3 with the hope of doing dressage but I don't think we will be able to with the extra gait, hence going for jumping instead.

Thank you, I'll join the group. Your boy is really cute.
I have ridden icelandic horses and a fox trotter but the aim was to make them tolt/fox trot, here I am wanting to trot instead but we often get legs all over the place. I can't imagine having to manage 5 gaits!

I am thinking exercises with ground poles/raised pole could help his schooling too.
Pole work really helps mine with his trot and canter, also riding in long grass or deep going or if you are lucky enough, the sea.
If you don't succeed with jumping and no reason why you shouldn't, why not make most of his gaits and do some endurance ?

Palindrome

Visit site
Pole work really helps mine with his trot and canter, also riding in long grass or deep going or if you are lucky enough, the sea.
If you don't succeed with jumping and no reason why you shouldn't, why not make most of his gaits and do some endurance ?

We have a beach close to the yard but he is very scared of the waves so we can't go into the sea.

My amazon purchase of the book was cancelled by the seller, I will have to try again.

Gloi

Visit site
We have a beach close to the yard but he is very scared of the waves so we can't go into the sea.

My amazon purchase of the book was cancelled by the seller, I will have to try again.
Oh, that's a shame about the book. Another one will come up I'm sure.