Training Up Other Halfs

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
How many of you have trained up your other halfs? I've been with my now Husband seven years and he has so farm managed to avoid anything other than trudging round shows and holding (at the end of the rein) horses. Now I've moved yards things are a bit different and I want him trained up for emergencies - he has now mastered the leading through electric tape gate hazard and managed to pick out feet the other day - it's hysterical! amazing how far you can stand away from the horse and pick it's leg up!! headcollars are more often than not still put on upside down and rugs are terrifying to him (anything that involves reaching under a horse is a no go!) but he is improving! Good job I have the most patient horse in the world!

Soph83

Visit site
Mine can do a bit of mucking out and put a head coller on and lead. That's about it! He's more for maintenance I guess. WOuld love to teach him how to ride but my two just aren't suitable which is a shame! Not that he's all that bothered....

kick_On

Visit site
mine's still in training 19 yrs later!!!! But what i've found is mine has no interest at all, so i only use in real emergences.
And he so chilled it's brillant, my ggs just don't take pee with him and he's slowly learning. Now he's up to mucking out, collect gg from field, holding at shows and of course driving.
But last year i had nasty accident and need helped to do everything and that's when he really learnt and reaised how much work is needed, since then he's been brilliant.
But i don't ask, he offers when i'm struggling, but i do try and make a nice diner afterwards or give him help on his hobby

Kelly1982

Visit site
My OH HATES horses with a passion but he knows how to do most things. I lunged the other day and came back up to all my jobs being done
grin.gif

He doesn't really do much with the horses (although he knows how to put a rug on) coz he is allergic to them so i dont ask him to do anything with them that often.

He also comes to shows but finds it really boring unless there is a bar LOL. He used to hold me old horse for me while i walked the course etc but wont go near my new one as she is too much of a handful.

Halfpass

Visit site
I've fully trained mine i n a mere 5 1/2 years
tongue.gif
When we met he had never sat on a horse. He now has his own mucks out hacks xc and hunts. He isn't too good at helping with mine now though (when I have one).
smirk.gif

miller

Visit site
Mine was horsey when I started seeing him - he does everything including riding mine if needs be - bleeding good job when we've got them at home.

Just needs some training in clipping!

truffles

Visit site
Not really "OH" so to speak but hey-ho!
My non-horsey mum is becoming quite intrigued by this horsey business, and although she is actually scared of them, she absolutely loves Chloe, and is actually quite keen to learn a few things about the whole horse owning thing, which is brill!

Dad - completely uninterested. He's paying for her and he hasn't even met her! Although he did get a bit excited watching tht HOYS PC races!
grin.gif

My brother - Despises Chloe and he hasn't even met her. He refuses to help whatsoever, or even watch me at show. If he rides, he hates being led, so him starting riding quickly fizzled out. He doesn't get that you have to learn before you do all the "fun stuff" which he sees on T.V. stupid boy, he's 13 for gods sake!

Sorry, turned into a bit of a rant there! But overall, as you might be able to tell, mum is the most helpful, driving me to and fro everywhere, coming to hrosey events, holding at shows, and telling me off when she thinks I'm doing something wrong. Tis very amusing actually, I can definately see her being a PC mother!
blush.gif
tongue.gif

miamibear

Visit site
My OH does show an interest every now and again when the moment takes him he will pop down before i get home from work and bring neddy in and brush him but thats as far as it goes. He has had a ride on Red (who was brill with him) only in the school and loves to feed him carrots.

He cant do any jobs because he is allergic to straw and hay dust! I dont mind though, i have friends to use in emergencies and it means i dont get intereference! I go down there for a break!!
grin.gif

fairhill

Visit site
Mine came out riding with me on hacks when we first started going out.... Several years later he'll only come to the stables if it's nice weather, he can play with the yard dogs, and I promise not to be longer than half an hour. Suprisingly enough, he doesn't visit very often - but the horses love him for the copious amounts of polos he feeds them when he does put in an appearance.

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
God I don't want him that involved - my horses are my me time!! Wouldn't mind really but I think I would see lots of flying pigs before I ever got him up on board!! Did get an ex very involved who ended up with his own horses though!

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Mine has progressed from standing the other side of a stone wall "Just in case"! to picking out front feet (he won't attempt back) under close supervision. I tried to teach him how to lunge but horse soon realised OH wasn't in charge and set off at speed up the school with poor OH waterskiing behind! It will take me a long time to persuade him to try that one again I think.......

Rambo

Visit site
My OH is partly to blame for me getting back into horses in the first place
tongue.gif
She also rides although swore she never wanted to compete.....but even that seems to be changing now, and she's threatening to do some BSJA Intro stuff next spring
shocked.gif
I have to give her jumping lessons though which can lead to frayed tempers sometimes as i'm not a very sympathetic instructor and she always questions me
grin.gif

She's very good at shows though and is learning her way around the warm-up fences for me nicely
blush.gif

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Mine has progressed from standing the other side of a stone wall "Just in case"! to picking out front feet (he won't attempt back) under close supervision. I tried to teach him how to lunge but horse soon realised OH wasn't in charge and set off at speed up the school with poor OH waterskiing behind! It will take me a long time to persuade him to try that one again I think.......

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL! First flying lessons are usually always when you lunge lol!!

kick_On

Visit site
i bet you if chips were down he would help, if he's already doing stuff. What i've found, if the're not interested you're never going to change that, i just work on doing nice stuff for him when i'm at home or help with his hobby.
The most annoying thing, is that as a child he had a ponies and i'm sure if he decided to take it up he'd beat hands down and that would really pee me off.............
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

Marquire

Visit site
My OH was completely unhorsey when we first got together (many) years ago.

However he has gone from someone who didn't know one end of the horse from the other to
1. having a mare on loan
2. hacking, jumping and he's even been hunting
3. he LOVES mucking out and usually does both the horses
4. he has no desire to compete himself but trails with me to competitions and training every weekend, acts as a fantstic groom, calls my dressage tests, keeps me a pony supplied with food and drink
5. and best still, he contributes £500 per month towards both their keeps.

He's ace!

Marie

Petrie

Visit site
Haven't managed to get mine to help: he's an urbanite, doesn't like to get wet or dirty and won't go near poo. He's the type that will say in a very loud voice, 'ugh, that's disgusting, you can see its bottom hole,' every time the horse does a dropping, which is totally childish and embarrassing when you're at a show! He knows this, and does it on purpose.

He did, however, come to watch me at a hunter trial at the weekend. It was sunny, the grand prix was on early so he'd already watched it, and it was only 10 miles away.

I didn't ask him to go near the horse, but he was commanded to be responsible for our 11 week old labrador puppy, which he can just about manage as long as he can carry her without touching her bottom (pathetic).

Anyway, he almost missed my round for the hoards of fawning women swarming around him. Any single guys out there, borrow a puppy for an afternoon!

A lovely afternoon was had by all, he said afterwards, 'I quite enjoyed that, might come more often.'

I didn't point out that in a few months time, our little babe magnet will be an almost fully-grown, smelly, fox-poo eating common or garden black labrador, and no-one will be interested in him! Ha ha!

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Haven't managed to get mine to help: he's an urbanite, doesn't like to get wet or dirty and won't go near poo. He's the type that will say in a very loud voice, 'ugh, that's disgusting, you can see its bottom hole,' every time the horse does a dropping, which is totally childish and embarrassing when you're at a show! He knows this, and does it on purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO
grin.gif

Marquire

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You should auction him off to the highest bidder - you'd make a fortune!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

But I've invested a lot of time into him- I couldn't face starting over with a new one.

Marie

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I used to date someone who was very horsey and it used to drive me completly crazy. He was into showjumping and I have always done dressage and it was like living in a war zone.... Needless to say that didnt last long and I swore Id never go near another horsey man.

The guy Im now engaged to bought my horse for me and pays for him to stay on full livery with my trainer and thats about as involved as he gets. It's also exactly how I like it!

Dont get me wrong, he really likes horsey and pays the occasional visit to feed him excessive amounts of sweeties. He also learned to lunge quite a while ago, but horsey soon got to grips with the fact that he could actually lunge boyfriend instead.

He plays golf close to where my horse is liveried and we both pretty much keep out of each others' hobbies. Im not sure I could cope with another horsey man
tongue.gif

Soph83

Visit site
<span style="color:purple"> We do have seperate accounts but we're supposed to be saving to buy a place as we both live at home. He's saving and I'm buying stuff for the girls just because it's purple! haha! Oops! </span>

hussar

Visit site
Mine's a bit of a lost cause. He likes the horses but doesn't really want anything to do with them. He'll poo-pick but only to get manure for the veg garden! I would love him to crew for me as lots of other non-horsey OHs do in endurance but he's only interested in coming to the really big events with lots of trade stands and a real buzz.