Training Up Other Halfs

Marquire

Visit site
The secret is to fine one who likes doing the mucky jobs and helping you but has no desire to compete himself.

Also if they have their own horse which they're happy to let you ride and compete when yours if off work then all the better!

Marie

kick_On

Visit site
say it's your mates stuff on loan!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Marie - that is soooo grossly unfair and I think we should all share him - perhaps a weekend each ???

My OH does tolerate me riding every single day and also contributes more towards the mortgage than I do to compensate for all my money being spent on the horses !

He says he wants to come to comps but so far has not. I think the early mornings put him as he doesn't drive so would have to come with me ! He cannot ride and is not interested in doing so. He can lead and that's about it - even after 7 years of marriage grrrrr. I have trained him to iron - much more useful me thinks. He's great at it and never moans !

Saying that, the yard is my sanctuary and my 'me time' so maybe it's for the best.

lillie07

Visit site
Hehehe... I think I win the prize for best OH. He was completely un-horsey when we met, now im the envy of all the girls at the yard
blush.gif
. If he finishes work early and has nothing to do he goes down to the yard mucks out, hays, waters, and gets the horses in and grooms so all I have to do is ride :)! He gets even better at competitions... He helps me prepare, get the lorry packed and ready, drives the lorry, is my groom when we get there (holding, walking off etc!) and he is so good now he normally cleans out the lorry, and I normally return to haynet and water ready!! Then when we get home he sorts the lorry while I put the horses to bed. LOL it probably costs me more in food and drink for him for the day than it would to employ a groom though!! Sometimes he worries me though as being un horsey he doesnt realise the potential dangers around horses but he is learning very quickly....
laugh.gif

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
After a year and never touching a horse before he met me he can competently control my TB when he decides to piss about, tack up, clean tack, muck out, (and likes it?!) knows different tack and bits and what they're used for, grooms, can lunge, can ride up to canter, load horses, knows basic first aid and has lots of horsey numbers like vet and farrier on his phone, etc etc.

He loves it and wants his own horse. Until then he fusses over my boys and does lots for them. He's very keen on dressage and watched all of HOYS with me on the telly.
tongue.gif

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
I love him being horsey though as it's not too OTT. I can go out and hack on my own without him being fussed, but then if it's a cold wet day then he will go out and rug them up for me.

He's also good to have on the ground as he's very analytical and picks things up very easily so he can watch my position, striding etc and understands it all!

threeponies

Visit site
Mine can also do all the essentials- muck out, water ,haynets, feed etc but is allergic to horses so I have to let him know in advance that he's needed. He's also handy for leading our daughter on the Shetland while I ride, and will come out walks with us. He has tried riding and has (hate to admit it!) a really good seat but my Highland is too wide for him so he won't go on her (yay!)

Claireg9

Visit site
no fair! i want a boyfriend that ikes horses! i dont care if he doesnt come up there with me just so long as he accepts that i go up there! i get horses are a tye, there only good for dog meat, i hate horses bla bla bla bla you love them more than you love me, go on then go and feltch your horses!!! you get the piccy, then if i force him up the yard he will get Candy in... he likes to make her run! but he also has no idea and happily walks her round the back of other horses even though im shouting at him teling him not to, he just says ow it'll be alright!!! grrr then if i kiss my babies he's like er thats discusting stop it, dont come near me now!!! it stinks down here etc etc etc!
id love one that got envolved wanted to ride muck out etc, but id settlt for one that didnt moan about the time and money spent and without the childish comments!

tigers_eye

Visit site
Watch it blackhawk.... very into dressage??! Keep a close eye on him!

Mine mucked out stalls at a riding school as a 16 yo and hadn't been near horses since until we met a year ago. He mucks out, lugs heavy stuff for me, has been dangled by a vertical William whilst I was walking a couse but will still hold him. Has ridden William and Deco, grooms nicely, has mastered tacking up, bought me a horse, comes to competitions (but most definatly prefers those with a bar) although I think he'll give any winter unaffiliated dressage a miss now we've evented this season. Can take a mean photo and tolerates me loitering on here!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Also cleans house if I go to stables early on a weekend and cooks most nights.... also irons.....

Yep, gold dust! I think so anyway!

RobinHood

Visit site
My dad can make feeds (refuses to do speedibeet though), take them up to the field and feed all 5 horses loose in the field. He can do studs, change rugs, lead 3 horses and he also has a hidden talent for loading tricky loaders. He can also drive the lorry or a trailer, and he can build stables, lay concrete, plumb in automatic drinkers and maintain electric fencing. Not bad considering he didn't go to the yard until we'd had horses for over a year.

Munchie

Visit site
Well I cheated and bought myself a ready - made model
wink.gif

Very useful to have a horsey OH!!

It was just a case of making a few tweaks here and there
grin.gif
Hehe

icestationzebra

Visit site
I think I have done a very good job of training mine
grin.gif
He hadn't been near a horse until he met me.... he now mucks out, poo picks fields, picks feet out, grooms, fills haynets and makes feeds up. He is also good with studs. Last week I got to the yard and he had got there before me because he knew I was running late. Got Jemima in from the field, groomed her and had her tack ready..... he is brilliant - I am lucky I know
smile.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
hmm..not realy the same.but funny story...
father standing beside turnout paddokc yesterday..lil sis took her pony out. Horse promptly went buck daft. I shouted at him to take horse out and put her in stable (was having a lesson) and he rang inside for sister to come out because there was no way he was going near the 'crazy' horse!
Have him trained in studs( if you hold the foot for him!) and driving the lorry, moving th emuck heap and spending cash. Couldn't ask a lot more though!

tinker512

Visit site
Not alot I'm afraid...hes scrard of horses....all 6ft+ of him!Although that might have something to do with his mums 17hher Ex racehorse which has scared him abit!