Training young dressage horses

auraxx

New User
Visit site
This is too early for me to begin teaching my 5yo such moves, but I would like to know - once I have got the German Training Program done (Rhythm, Looseness, Contact, Impulsion, Straightness and Collection) - which dressage move should I begin with?

Or should I just play it by what he find's easiest? I am at a bit of a loss as what to start him with in terms of dressage moves as he has a massive canter and bouncy trot. Please bear in mind that I do know I must get basic training done, but I am drawing up a basic regime for him which I'd like to pencil in dressage moves. Thanks.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
You have asked a massive question there, but you would probably get a better response if you put this in Competing and Training. How many years in advance are you planning? Do you currently have a trainer? :)

Booboos

Visit site
I don't quite get the question. It takes years and years to achieve the collection required for the higher moves, so it's not as if you will work your way through the scales in a few months and then you'll be ready to work on leg yielding.

Basic work with a young horse might include circles, serpentines and a lot of transitions (direct, within the pace, and eventually indirect). Basic lateral work would probably start with the leg yield, then a bit of shoulder in, then travers, then half-pass.

(Looseness or relaxation is the first scale then rhythm)