Training Young Horses.

Skhosu

Visit site
Ok, before I begin, I must add that I have no knowledge of training a young horse.
My question is basically, why do we not start young horses off working in a 'correct' shape from the beginning? Surely they will have sore muscles from being 'ridden' anyway, so why not work them in a correct shape to make everyones life easier in the future?
I am sure there is a good reason, but just interested to know what it is!

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
I've always found it more important to get the youngster moving forwards freely and confidently before asking it to gather itself up into an outline, otherwise you can end up with a very backwards going horse.
Edited to say i still ask them to hold themselves properly but i dont expect them to go in an outline, its more important that they get themselves going into a nice rhythm before i interupt their way of going, if that makes sense?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
All my horses start work in a loose outline sending them forwards first. As they become fitter/build up then the outline becomes more advanced.

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
I think the reasoning behind not asking a horse to work strainght on an outline is because it increases the risk of problems and injury to skeletal, muscular, tendon, ligament, hoof and mental state.
The development of freedom of paces, balance and straightness together with the progressive loading of physiological aspects will ensure a longer working life.
for instance if the horse has not developed fully skeletal wise and is worked on developing the muscles only by insisting that it works in an outline, could affect the growth plates, tendon elasticity, joint mobility and cause tension to the muscles through trying to hold itself in an outline before he is strong enough.
I have found that in a lot of cases of horses bought over from more demanding training regimes, ie germany, who are doing high level dressage movements at five years old suffer from joint, hoof and mental problems later on.
just my opinion
smile.gif

Dawn

Ginn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've always found it more important to get the youngster moving forwards freely and confidently before asking it to gather itself up into an outline, otherwise you can end up with a very backwards going horse.
Edited to say i still ask them to hold themselves properly but i dont expect them to go in an outline, its more important that they get themselves going into a nice rhythm before i interupt their way of going, if that makes sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto - completely agree. That doesn't mean that the horse doesn't work from leg to hand through a contact though as this is fundamental imo, but that the "outline" naturally develops with the muscles over time provided the horse is worked correctly and is going forwards off the leg. If you "force" the horse into an outline to begin with then you often end up with a very backwards horse.

Vey

Visit site
I am absolutly on the side of those starting youngsters by getting them to work forward with really good impulsion - young hroses are learning to support the weight of the rider, it takes time for them to establish that at all paces and do it with good rythm and obedience. You get the important things in place first - these are impulsion and 'expression' also obedience and straightness. After that, collection or outline come naturally in their own time, with of course rider guidance.

4whitesocks

Visit site
Totally agree on the 'forward' first and the outline.....off the leg and responsive is most important as they develop (IMO)...well that's the theory mind you my 5yo still hasn't figured out what an outline is so maybe that's the wrong approach!!!

ECHO230503

Visit site
im with outline first.of couse not advanced just long and deep.i personaly feel this helps the horse to carry your weight.they have been taught to go forward into the contact on the lunge so all you are doing is continuing that,why change what they already know.all you have to do is teach them the leg means the same as the lunge whip,go forward.it also stops them learning they dont have to go in an outine so it makes life easier.my 3 year old is going like a dream forward into the outline in walk,trot and canter.she has even learnt a baby size legyeild and a couple of medium trot strides.she will be ready for young horse classes next year.it is everyone own opinion.

Nari

Visit site
Depends what you mean by outline. I won't accept high, very hollow or head way too low but I wouldn't expect a dressage outline straight away. I'd far rather have rythym, balance & activity to begin with, the outline should naturally develop from these anyway.

Having recently seen my BD trainer working some horses that have always been held into an outline & try to sort out the problems it has caused I'm grateful I ignored some of the well meant advice I was given when my lad was younger!!

KatB

Visit site
If a young horse is ridden in a soft contact with a forward rhythm, they will naturally hold themselves where they need to be to be comfortable, so a basic outline. I believe in asking a horse to work through its back, witha "rounded" back developed through going forward into a light forwad contact, but not a collected or "restrained" contact.

Skhosu

Visit site
ok, that answered my question!
Basically most people do start them off working 'properly' i.e. in an active, reasonable shape?
That's what I though would make sense!
Thanks Guys!