Transcend bridle - simple or double?

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thinking of getting one of the lovely Transcend side cue bridles for my (as yet unbacked) youngster. She long reins in a rope side pull so I think she will like the side cue. I'm wondering at what point the double is likely to become useful though. I've not used a sidepull before so I've no idea if the double is something you don't use for years, like a double bridle, or if it's something that's likely to be useful within the first year or so (which I'd guess from looking at it). If the double is likely to be useful early on, it would make more sense to buy it now because it can be used as the simple version, but if it's not going to be of use for ages I would buy the simple one because she may well end up in a bit at some point anyway.
Any advice gratefully received (also alternative ideas!).

soloequestrian

Visit site
Anyone? The lady who makes them says the double is perfectly suitable for youngsters because it's so light, but experiences would be helpful! I think the bridles are pretty new though so maybe not many people have one....

Candygirl14

Visit site
What did you go for in the end soloequestrian. I am debating this for my 3 year old. If you did go for a Trascend, Did you measure it and allow for growth? Anyone else have a Trascend, thoughts?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have only just got mine, so can't really answer any questions on it yet except to say that it is beautifully made and feels very sturdy. My mare is 12yo, with a history of dental issues, so I'm giving the double a whirl to see how she takes to it.

Apologies for the asleep horse, I rudely interrupted her siesta to try the bridle on for size :D. I'm sourcing the reins separately, they haven't arrived yet (5/8" half rubber leather reins for the side cue ring, 1/2" plain leather reins for the curb).

6kVQFMW.jpg

Apparently, you can use the double as a single reined side cue if you clip the curb ring out of the way to the side cue ring, though I'm not sure about that. I think I'd get a separate side cue noseband in that case, as the double and single nosebands are interchangeable.

N4JrH39.jpg

This is me mocking up the double-to-side cue conversion with an old leadrope clip, Transcend sell their own rather sturdier clips. The single rein would then buckle on to the clip where my thumb is.

Last edited:

antigone

Visit site
I have had my transcend for a few months and I am very pleased with it. I got the double (after a lot of dithering) and my horse goes very well in it. She is not particularly well schooled (but is not a youngster) and she also has a developmental problem with her teeth. She goes far better in this than a bitted bridle but I am not sure if that is because of the teeth or because of previous bad experiences with a bit.

We do everything in it (apart from jumping - we are both too old) but I have spent a lot of time training the stop after a bit of an incident with an agricultural sprayer a couple of years ago, so my mare is reliable. I don't really know why it works so well for her but I feel she is more "on my side" when she is in the Transcend.

The curb is easily disabled as Tiddlypom has already shown in the post above and this seems to work well.

I don't know how I have managed without it, really. Fantastic for riding (especially with the curb) and also great for in hand schooling and long lining. In an ideal world I would have a separate sidecue noseband, without the curb, for long lining and so on but it is all working fine as it is.

I have another cob that has not done much for the last four years as she was used as a brood mare before I bought her. Her ground training is going really well using it so she will be ridden in it as well when she is ready.

Sizing is a bit variable - I had to send some parts back as they were way off the stated measurements. I ended up with a cob headpiece and full size nose and browband. The hangers on the noseband are way too long for it to look "special" on a 14:2 cob so I will probably get them shortened at some point. I bought the curb reins and they are lighter than the ones I had but I am not sure how much difference this has made as my existing ones are quite light anyway and don't cause a problem with the curb. Annoying but as they charge £7 postage I didn't want to have to order again.

Candygirl14

Visit site
Thanks all for your input it has helped loads. Any ideas how much a 3 year old PRE's head grow in regards to the allowance for sizing of a bridle? (she is approx. 16.1 now and in a full size head collar)

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Just like to say they are individually English made quality bridles with a unique and kind design. If someone finds they don't fit Sue Thomas will sort out the pieces with no extra posting charge, she also refunds excessive post costs (as with thin reins) and is very responsive to contacts for support and guidance.
Oz (Saddler)

soloequestrian

Visit site
I got one of the simple nose bands in the end (not the double) and just use it with an ordinary head piece at the moment. Still just long reining, this backing thing seems to be taking us a while. My mare is about 16.3 and has a full size headcollar - I was recommended the extra full size nose band for her and it fits fine.

BBP

Visit site
I think it very much depends on the sensitivity of your horse. I don’t have a transcend (I ride in a padded rope sidepull) and have never once felt the need for a curb strap. I do trec/jump/dressage/hack in it and he is super sensitive to every cue but he probably gets more clarity due to it being rope (smaller surface area even though I have a gel pad under nose). With the big flat baring surface of the transcend it may be that you lose some sensitivity of aid and so the curb may be helpful in some circumstances?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Just like to say they are individually English made quality bridles with a unique and kind design. If someone finds they don't fit Sue Thomas will sort out the pieces with no extra posting charge, she also refunds excessive post costs (as with thin reins) and is very responsive to contacts for support and guidance.
Oz (Saddler)
That's a good vote of confidence from our resident saddler :).

Sue is posting out a couple of longer brow bands for me to trial in addition to the one that came with my XFS double bridle - my fault as I thought that that a FS/17" one would be fine but it's a little snug. My mare is a 16.1hh ID x. I also popped the same bridle on my 15.2hh sports horse mare who has quite a quality head, and whilst it did look big on her it could be adjusted to fit after a fashion, but she'd be much better in a FS.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Just reviving this thread - I have the simple bridle but thinking about getting a double now too - does the double give a little bit more finesse? Still not wild about bitting but a sidepull or hackamore is feeling a bit of a blunt instrument at the moment....