Transcool units

druid

Visit site
Anyone have a transcool unit for keeping vehicles cool with dogs in? It's a portable evaporative A/C that can run on battery for 12-30h as well as on 12v and a/c power.

Van is vented, has excellent A/C and we utilise the aluminet shades already. The Transcool is quite appealing for ferry journeys and longer training days but £450 ain't cheap!

I'm Dun

Visit site
I looked into them, but they arent air con, just swamp coolers. Theres some videos on youtube reviewing them. They do reduce the temperature, just not significantly. Ecoflow do a better one, but it comes with a much bigger price tag and even then reviews are hit and miss.

Any sort of air con is going to be a big draw on your battery, so your going to need a decent AH ideally lithium battery and that adds another £4/500 to the price.

I did see a caravan 12v air con unit, I'll see if I can find a link for you

druid

Visit site
Evaporative a/c and swamp cooling are the same thing 🤔 unless I've misunderstood

Anyway,I happened to find a transcool on sale second hand so decided to give it a test run. It has the battery addition to run it for 12h so no draw on the van battery or need for plugging in when stationary.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Evaporative a/c and swamp cooling are the same thing 🤔 unless I've misunderstood

Anyway,I happened to find a transcool on sale second hand so decided to give it a test run. It has the battery addition to run it for 12h so no draw on the van battery or need for plugging in when stationary.

yes they are, but not really air con, they pump out air over cool water, so its going to be limited how much effect it has. They come up second hand all the time, which probably says a lot. I'd be interested to know what you think though. Its a fairly economical way to do it compared to the 2k plus for proper caravan air con