Transformation of Miles - the Irish hat rack Connemara pony

IrishMilo

Visit site
Earlier this year I bought a 3 year old Connie from Ireland as a quick project while I was horseless/out of a job to keep me busy. I’d planned to back him over the summer and then sell him on. And then he got off the lorry and that all changed…

This is the first set of photos I took of him:

1000070240.jpeg1000070369.jpeg

After a couple of weeks and the first round of worming. You can also see bald patches due to a lice infestation (which took me way longer than it should have to clock on)

1000070556.jpeg1000071160.jpeg

All through this I was getting him used to normal things like wearing a rug, having his feet picked out etc. Couple of kicks and bites along the way!

1000074967.jpeg

I then decided he needed at least a year to just be. So I moved him to the most perfect place for a youngster.

Getting there slowly after one lice shampoo bath which damn near put me in hospital.

IMG_4125.jpegIMG_5062.jpeg

Still wasn’t picking up as well as I’d have liked after a couple of medium worm counts so I dosed him on Panacur 5 day. And 6 months of R and R later… IMG_6527.pngIMG_6488.jpegIMG_6466.jpeg

The ‘cheap’ project has cost me well in excess of 6k and I still haven’t done more than walk on him. But he IS quite cute, so all things considered… !

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Oh my goodness, didn't he have a soft landing with you ❤ He is looking so well & geniunely looks happy in his face.

I hope you both have lots of fun together in the future.

Love the name too!

BBP

Visit site
He’s super cute. Mine also came off the boat thin, I don’t think they fed him at all, and full of love and worms, but he wasn’t that thin, blimey! He looks like he will need a huge amount of posture and muscle building work before he can carry a rider, but hes got a lovely eye and those last 2 photos look like you are really getting somewhere with him. Is the project still a project, or a permanent?

olop

Visit site
Wow he looks fabulous now! You deserve all the luck in the world with him, I hope your persistence pays off and he turns out super nice ❤️❤️

tda

Visit site
That was seriously malnourished! Poor fella. I guess he didn't look like that on his sale advert
Hope he turns into everything you didn't think he would be 😍

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Wow he has come on so much! Well done to you! Who did you get him from? Terrible to sell a horse in that condition, so glad he found his way to you xx

Chiffy

Visit site
My goodness, obviously you bought him unseen and thank god you did. I don’t think I have seen a youngster look quite so bad. I follow a rescue in the USA that rescues from auction and many are at least that bad, but not seen them here.
He is a lovely looking lad, well done.
Just as a comparison, we had a 3yr Connie in for breaking this summer which was easily achieved in 8weeks. We were more worried that he was overweight for his age! He certainly didn’t look like a three yr old!

Smitty

Visit site
He looks wonderful. Do you know his breeding ?

About 10 years ago I got a connie from Ireland who came off the lorry looking like a hat rack and she was quite poorly for a few weeks. I think the trip takes it out of some of them hugely. After a few months she became a proper porker and I had to seriosly manage her food intake!!