Transformation of Miles - the Irish hat rack Connemara pony

IrishMilo

Visit site
He looks wonderful. Do you know his breeding ?
He's by Millgrange Dr Zhivago out of a Corcullen Silver Belle mare. It's all Class 1 through his passport with the exception of his sire, so he’s actually nicely done!

I'll keep him for as long as I can, I’ll soon have 3 horses each in different locations which isn’t exactly convenient… I'm rubbish at selling them (clearly) but something will have to give at some point! He'll have the winter off to do nothing now as I did everything I wanted to this year with him. This is probably as good as life will ever get for him and I want to keep it that way for as long as I can!

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
What a fantastic turnaround you have done with him. I am disgusted that you bought a horse out of Ireland looking like that, whoever sent him to you deserves to never find another buyer for a horse again, shameful way to carry on. :mad: I am very happy he landed with you, it could have gone very badly wrong for him if he did not find himself with such a caring new owner. Good luck with him and I hope your reward is that he turns into the best little horse you have ever owned.

BBP

Visit site
What a fantastic turnaround you have done with him. I am disgusted that you bought a horse out of Ireland looking like that, whoever sent him to you deserves to never find another buyer for a horse again, shameful way to carry on. :mad: I am very happy he landed with you, it could have gone very badly wrong for him if he did not find himself with such a caring new owner. Good luck with him and I hope your reward is that he turns into the best little horse you have ever owned.
From what I remember from previous post he looked fine when loaded up and lost an excessive amount of weight on the journey over. My little lad did the same. Looked absolutely fine prior to travel, and got off the box after a 3 day total trip looking really skinny (not as bad as Miles but could count all his ribs). I don’t think the haulage firm fed him at all on the box as it was spotless when they dropped him off. Not a spec of hay or horse poo.

Smitty

Visit site
He's by Millgrange Dr Zhivago out of a Corcullen Silver Belle mare. It's all Class 1 through his passport with the exception of his sire, so he’s actually nicely done!

Mine was 4, and probably the same condition as your 2nd picture. She had a horrid cough, 10 years ago now and I dont really remember but it might have been pneumonia, it was not Strangles, and resulted in a few vet visits. I read this was due to them being tied up for a long period during transport and unable to put heads down to clear mucus.

I have not looked at any Connie breeding since then, but mine was very much the same stamp as yours, Class 1, by Prince of Theives out of a Laerkins Cascade Dawn mare.

IrishMilo

Visit site
He didn't look all that well covered from the first video of being loaded but was no where near that skinny. He's a natural worrier so I know how stressed he would have been on the box, I have to admit it did make me question whether I'd do it again based on the ethics of it. The transporters called me a couple of times to warn me of how bad he was looking and said they were giving recovery mash (they sent him over with some so I know they were being truthful).

The stress, plus mites, worms and being naturally shy was a lot for him to take.

Last edited:

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I do think the journey is hard, Dex did a two day trip and came off looking very ribby, scrawny and tucked up (nothing like the OP though) and I have a video of him being loaded and a video of him being transported and the box was spotless, they all had hay etc - and he looked class when he went on the lorry. When they're young and haven't ever done anything like it, I think it's unavoidable to a point.

He's looking fab IM, what a cracker of a Connie!

Tarragon

Visit site
I remember reading in a lovely old horsey book that the best field for a youngster is a large field, surrounded with natural shelter and with a hill with the water trough at the top and company. That way they develop natural fitness.
It was shocking how thin he was when he arrived - poor boy! What a traumatic event. No wonder he was suspicious of people. He is looking grand now.
1727868358600.png

humblepie

Visit site
I remember reading in a lovely old horsey book that the best field for a youngster is a large field, surrounded with natural shelter and with a hill with the water trough at the top and company. That way they develop natural fitness.
It was shocking how thin he was when he arrived - poor boy! What a traumatic event. No wonder he was suspicious of people. He is looking grand now.
View attachment 147600

Off post a bit but I have that book. It’s very emotional but lovely.