Transitioning to a myler bit

Fly_By_Wire

Visit site
Has anyone transitioned a horse from a 'regular' bit to a myler? I've bought a myler from the bit bank for P thinking that it would suit her - she currently goes in a French link hanging cheek and is fussy in the contact (getting better as her balance improves, but is much worse in a loose ring). From this I deduced that she might prefer a bit that allowed more stillness in the mouth, so went for a myler. We're on day 2 and she is taking a steady contact but is leaning on my hand like you wouldn't believe!

So two questions really

1) how long does it take a horse to get used to a new biting system, is this a case of things getting worse before they get better?

2) If forced to choose, would you rather school in the bit that makes them head toss or lean? I'm inclined to choose the leaning, but very aware that she'll be getting none of the benefits of the tongue relief if I always end up with a heavy contact!

Fly_By_Wire

Visit site
I wouldn’t say that a Myler is a whole new bitting system, most of them are just nicely made regular bits. Which one have you got?
It's a hanging cheek 36 mouthpiece, maybe not a whole new system, but it seems to act a lot more like a straight bar than a traditional french link?

TheMule

Visit site
The ported bit? That is quite a change from a French link, it's a completely different bit so I would expect the feeling in the hand to be different. I would prefer them to be taking the bit than fussy and unsettled in it, you may need to adjust to ride with the hand more forward and up to compensate whilst she adjusts the balance

ihatework

Visit site
Transition?!
I have a couple of myler bits. I pop them in if I think they might suit - ride for a bit and decide whether they suit or not. Some love them, some aren’t fussed. It’s rare to find one that hates them but they can be a little sharp for some. Just like with most bits - suck it and see

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Have you tried a basic hanging cheek French link with a lozenge? I use this on my fussy in the mouth Arab he also likes a sweet iron bit as well, might be worth a try they are so much cheaper than the my myler bits, my horse likes the stability of a fixed cheek over a loose ring and I have a myler Pelham that I have used on him for showing but he didn't lean on it.

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
I would go back to the bit bank, tell them what is happening and see what they suggest.

Or what about a Myler 04, low port comfort snaffle hanging cheek? this mouthpiece is supposed to be comfortable but a bit more flexible than the 36 forward tilt ported barrel.
I ran a Myler bit bank about 10 years ago.

Fly_By_Wire

Visit site
Thanks all, I think I'll give it a few more rides, I've had a much more promising session this morning after a diabolical ride yesterday! I've never really thought about a 'transition' period, but the myler website talks about the bits feeling very different to them. I'll definitely have a chat to the bit bank about the 04 or a lozenge if this doesn't work out. Thank heavens for bit banks!

Annagain

Visit site
My very fussy in the mouth boy went really well in the Myler mullen mouth hanging cheek. It went against all logic as he would lean very heavily on my hands in anything else but he liked it and was much lighter in the contact in it than anything else.

LegOn

Visit site
I rode my old horse in Mylers and he loved them but I would expect a few days of 'figuring it out' from both horse and rider - if they are leaning, you might need to lighten your aids or adjust your riding to see why they are leaning and if they prefer the feel but are just figuring it out! After a few days I would say you know if they like it or are just evading it! But it can take a bit of 'getting used to' on both sides!

Mylers do have alot of independent side action so I found he fixed on it if I didnt flex him enough, and get him to work properly from behind into the bridle! But they are great bits - some love them, some hate them! The bit banks are great and usually very knowledgeable - I used Horse Bit Hire before and they do a full video consultancy aswell!

TheMule

Visit site

Goldenstar

Visit site
Sky transitions between bits on a almost daily basis .
I am one o rthe people who believes that to keep horses sharp and responsive in snaffle you to change them regularly.
He goes in a
the curved mouth piece straight bar bomber bit
The loose ring myler bit
a fat Sprenger lozenge bit
a thin as above .
A NS verbinend
and a cheeked and loose ringed Waterford ( mainly for hunting but sometimes for fast work ).
He also wears a double sometimes .

I do this with most of my horses .