Transport hire with driver for shows and covid rules

SO1

Visit site
I hire a lorry and driver/helper to go to shows.

Haven't been out to a show for a very long time last years was write off due to Covid and pony having a suspensory injury.

I would now like to go to a show on the May bank holiday Monday however before I start asking around to find transport I was wondering if transporters are able to take people to shows as I will need to travel in the lorry with my pony as a passenger. They may not be able to take a passenger due to Covid-19 rules? I have had my first vaccine as I am 48 but I expect many transporters may not have their vaccine yet. I expect if you can travel on a plane on holiday on 17 May a transporter should be able to take me as a passenger as well as pony at the end of May.

Self hire and driving myself is not an option, and the driver would have to help me a bit on the day too as I need someone to groom in the ring, watch over pony whilst I go collect number etc. Normally works really well.

I have also entered Royal Windsor which in July by which time I expect that I will be able to get horse transporter to take myself and pony without any problems if all restrictions are lifted in June.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
BS & BD is currently one helper. BE is currently 2 helpers per horse.

You just need to look up the rules for each discipline.

SO1

Visit site
The issue is not if I am allowed a helper or not but if a horse transporter is allowed to take a passenger with them in the lorry under Covid-19 rules. I am not even sure if you are allowed to go in a car or lorry with someone who is not a member of your household yet.

BS & BD is currently one helper. BE is currently 2 helpers per horse.

You just need to look up the rules for each discipline.

neddy man

Visit site
Everyone gets in taxis, so no reason you can't get into a horse taxi, and driving school instructors are now operating again, just a case of having to wear a mask in the vehicle.

Last edited:

Spirit2021

Visit site
Nope you’re definitely not be allowed to do that. Hire a groom if you need that much help you shouldn’t be expecting a transporters to do that type of work.

TheMule

Visit site
Nope you’re definitely not be allowed to do that. Hire a groom if you need that much help you shouldn’t be expecting a transporters to do that type of work.

A lot of transporters offer that service, you pay a bit more but it can work really well.
I don’t think there will be a problem under COVID regs- wear a mask, keep the cab ventilated and use a bit of common sense

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Most of our local transporters are currently requesting no passengers of human variety but to follow in car. Obviously this will change as restrictions are lifted.
Why not phone or message to find out?
To add, with the amount of events going on, they all seem to he pretty well booked out over weekends for weeks round here!

Leandy

Visit site
Surely its easiest just to ask them before booking? If they ask you to follow in your own car, which I think they may at the moment, you would likely need to check with the show that they will admit two vehicles for one horse and just explain the circumstances.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

I use transporters a lot and they charge waiting time and are happy to help e.g. holding horse while I go to the loo or when mounting. One even completely unasked videos my rounds for me.

I haven't asked yet this time but last time they were not taking passengers and asking that you meet them at the venue.

fredflop

Visit site

most transporters will help at a show. After all it gives them something to do rather than just sat there for hours waiting for you