Transport to slaughter

Spudlet

Visit site
Also in SB:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/291495.html
WHW are asking people to write to their MEPs - I have, it took maybe ten minutes to cut and paste the letter they've written into an email and send it off. If anyone else wants to help, the letters are here: http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/you-help/take-action

They are even in lots of languages so people abroad can get involved too.

This says it all really:
[ QUOTE ]
World Horse Welfare veterinary consultant Keith Meldrum said: "The EC has stalled progress because of opposition from other parties [such as transporters] — and they have very loud voices."

To force the EC to continue, a written declaration has been tabled by Liz Lynne MEP, Sidonia Jedrzejewska MEP and Carl Schlyter MEP.

World Horse Welfare director of campaigns Jo White said: "For the declaration to work — to force the EC to publish proposals on reviewed legislation — we need 50 per cent of the 368 MEPs in the EU parliament to sign by 21 January. We have a mountain to climb."

Miss White urged the public to write, ring or visit their MEPs immediately.

"Public opinion really carries sway in Brussels," she said. "The petition raised the game. People must realise what they can do."

[/ QUOTE ]

1life

Visit site
Great link Hopalongandhen!

If peeps use the site http://www.writetothem.com they can also find their local MEP's, copy and paste the letter from the worldhorsewelfare site (and maybe alter a little if they want) and email it off to many of them in one go
smile.gif

These horses need as many of us as possible to spend a few minutes (that's literally all it took) to try to make a difference to how they are treated even in their final moments
frown.gif

snaptie

Visit site
Now if it could only happen the racing body and backyard breeders actually be addressed about the overproduction which contributes a large percentage of meathook material that never even sees a racecourse or even a sale. H & H, as a supporter of the racing industry, surely should be as interested in the topic of toning down indiscriminate breedings as they seem so concerned about their welfare.

1life

Visit site
Am happy to report that using the welfare template letter and the e mail system on writetothem I had replies from 3 of my local MEPs within 24 hours, all in agreement with me over how wrong the system is

Anyone else had any luck?

Maybe people could post what their own outcome is? Would be nice to know how many people are behind this campaign.

Spudlet

Visit site
I emailed three of mine who had not signed up yet, this was ages ago, so far only one has replied but he is going to sign. I am going to chase the rest!

Buggy

Visit site
I emailed all 6 in my area. Had one reply who is already campaigning and has done several press releases. She hosted the Parliamentary reception, at which the petition was handed to theEuropean Commission and also co-tabled the Written Declaration!! Link to her press release.

http://www.lizlynne.org.uk/news/001232/l...commission.html

Just checked email and two others have signed and are actively campaigning too!

1life

Visit site
Excellent guys - even HRH is spreading the word!
Quote from HH 'The Princess Royal has praised World Horse Welfare for its work in highlighting the suffering of horses in the UK and abroad.

But she has added that responsible owners must not stand by and ignore the issue.

The Princess was attending the charity's annual conference in London today (12 November). One of the subjects was World Horse Welfare's Make a Noise campaign to stop the long-distance transport of horses to slaughter.'

Horseantics

Visit site
Thank you for your correspondence regarding Written Declaration 54/2009 and the petition on the transportation of horses to slaughter. I have been actively campaigning on the issue of horse transportation within the European Parliament for a few years now. I participated in a debate on the matter during the January plenary session in Strasbourg, and last year co-tabled a Written Declaration calling for the European Commission to enforce Council Regulation (EC) 1/2005 on the protection of animals during transport.

In September last year I wrote to Commissioner Vassiliou to raise concerns put forward by the organisation World Horse Welfare regarding Member States’ enforcement of the transport legislation. Since then I have continued to work on this important issue and most recently hosted the Parliamentary reception, at which the petition was handed to the European Commission. I also co-tabled the Written Declaration to which you refer and have been actively encouraging other MEPs to sign it. The Written Declaration needs to be signed by a majority of MEPs to be adopted, so I am pleased that you are actively lobbying for this.

Please be assured that I will continue to work on this issue and will monitor both the status of the Written Declaration and the Commission’s response to the petition.

Please find below links to a few of my press releases on this subject for your information:

http://www.lizlynne.org.uk/news/001232/l...commission.html

http://www.lizlynne.org.uk/news/001158/l..._of_horses.html

http://www.lizlynne.org.uk/news/001134/l...sportation.html

http://www.lizlynne.org.uk/news/001075/stop_longdistance_horse_transport_for_slaughter_says_mep.html

Yours sincerely

Liz Lynne MEP

1life

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Please be assured that I will continue to work on this issue and will monitor both the status of the Written Declaration and the Commission’s response to the petition.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really great to see Staffsmum. Your support and commitment is really appreciated.

I received an email this morning from another of my local MEPs saying he is signing the declaration next week.

Anyone else got on board and had any replies. We need many, many more to get involved with this.

Horseantics

Visit site
My reply from Mike Nattrass

''Yes I have signed it and agree with you.
You will find I am high profile on defence of animals. First to sign against EU bull fighting subsidy etc.etc. etc

Mike''

Spudlet

Visit site
This is really great news!

I'm just racking my brains to think who I know in Europe - they'll need MEPs to sign up from all over the place not just in the UK to get the full 50%. I am so rubbish at keeping in touch with people though
blush.gif

Who do we know in Europe that we could nag into doing a bit of letter writing - after all the template letter is already translated.....
grin.gif

snaffle

Visit site
Thank you for your email dated 13th November 2009 addressed to both Stuart Agnew MEP regarding written declaration 54/2009. I am responding on Mr Agnew's behalf.

Naturally, Mr Agnew shares your great concern for the wellbeing of the horses treated in the way you describe. He is also pleased to hear that direct pressure will be placed on the European Commission via the petition you mention and postcards being sent direct to Commission President Barroso.

These lobbying methods are likely to be much more effective than written declarations, hundreds of which pass through the system. They are not binding upon the Commission and only a tiny fraction are ever acted upon. In our view, they serve as a distraction and a useful way for the Commission to channel the efforts of committed campaigners into a fairly useless paper pushing exercise. Therefore, UKIP MEPs rarely sign written declarations.

You should also be aware that our MEPs were elected on a platform of withdrawal from the European Union and do not accept the principle of an unelected European Commission being the sole originator of EU laws, which become binding upon the British people. This is not a healthy situation in any society which is supposed to be democratic.

I know that this is not entirely the answer you were seeking but it does have the virtue of being an honest and plain speaking reply!

Best wishes,

Stuart Gulleford
Political Advisor - Eastern Counties

UK Independence Party
145 New London Road
Chelmsford
Essex
CM2 0QT

Tel: 01245 266466
Fax: 01245 252071
www.ukip.org

Spudlet

Visit site
That's odd - I got an email from Stuart Agnew saying he would sign at the next opportunity....
confused.gif

We'll have to keep an eye out and see if he's a man of his word or not! Looks like that's a stock answer you got, mine was just a one-liner from him personally - guess it depends on who reads the email.

Spudlet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I got the reply as above from Liz Lynne, my other MEPs haven't even acknowledged my email.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Chase them. It makes me furious when MEPs, MPs etc ignore their constituents, they get paid a fat wage and the least they can do is acknowledge they got your email!
mad.gif

Name and shame, name and shame!!!!