Transport Woes

Archie07

Visit site
Bit of a WWYD as this has been running back and forth in my head for weeks so just wanted some opinions please!

Have a lovely pony who needs to be kept busy, I love my current yard even though no real schooling facilities it has fantastic hacking so I'm not willing to move however I really want to compete him this year, go out to training clinics much more regularly etc.

I have three options but not sure which would be best, easiest, most economical! I want to go out at least twice a month with him.

1. Sell current car and buy cheap small 4x4 and single trailer. I only do small journeys in my current car so not lots of driving if the 4x4 was to become my main car. However single trailers are expensive and rare as hens teeth! Plus I have no idea what might be a cheapish small 4x4 that could tie a single and pony?

2. Hire transport every time I want to go out. Would need to be booked well in advance, disappointment if we can't book anything and might add up cost wise?

3. Beg people at the yard with transport to take me. I pay well over the fuel and inconvenience costs anyway but I hate asking and relying on other people.

In a roundabout way would it be more economical to just get my own transport?! Has anyone done the above on a bit of a budget?! Recommendations greatly received!

asmp

Visit site
IMO you can't beat having your own transport. We rarely went anywhere before buying a trailer and now it is used for lessons, competitions, RDA and vets (saves on call out fee). Yes, a 4x4 can be expensive in fuel, insurance and up keep but then we tow 2 horses so have a Touareg now but if you are only towing a pony, you will have a lot of choice. There was a single trailer on nfed.co.uk the other day but I personally would still go for a double.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Look out for a suitable trailer then once you've got it change the car? I have a trailer and use it a couple of times a week. Ultimately I would like a 4.5 tonne lorry but the trailer is grand really. Other than insurance, servicing and tyres (and I bought it new and will probably trade it in for another new one every 3 years as the price to change is so small compared to replacing tyres and brakes etc!) it's not costing me much. A lorry would be all that and possibly a lot more.