Transporting horse long distance

l_i_z_z_i_e

Visit site
I am currently looking into moving my horse from the south of England to Scotland, what is a 10 hour journey with out a trailer, so more with.

I will be needed the horse trailer at the arrival destination either way, so I will be driving it up with or without the horse in it.

The 2 options i'm current considering are:
1. Getting a professional transported to do the job, its done over 2 days with a stopover half way and an overnight rest.

2. Driving her up myself and doing it over 2 or 3 days and arranging places to stop.

Currently leaning towards option 2, as she is 20 years old, travels better in a trailer than a lorry, and I would really like to be with her and be able to keep an eye on her.

Does anyone else have options/experience on the above at all, and what would everyone recommend?

Thanks!

NeverSurrender

Visit site
Personally i'd choose option 1.

I moved my boy twice, once from Leicestershire to Orkney Isles (road time _ 6 hour ferry trip) and once from Orkney Isles to Hull (again, 6 hour ferry trip + road time). Both times i used professional transporters and i wouldn't hesitate to do the same again - when it comes to long distance moving they know what they are doing and how to do it properly. On the return trip by boy looked a little poor when he set off after a hard winter and an unfortunate situation. Even though he had been on the ferry and out at the transporters stables for a weekend and he can be a awkward to settle, he arrived looking a picture of health and so much better than when he set off :)

I did look at doing the move myself, but the quotes you can get from the transporters are also a lot, lot cheaper than it would have cost me in petrol, time, etc.

madlady

Visit site
I would say that you are looking at 14-15 hours driving (not including breaks)

Personally I would go with option 1, just because long distances in a trailer can be more tiring for the horse because of the vibrations through a trailer but, if you are happy that your horse is up to it then take it easy, arrange for an overnight stop somewhere and go for it.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
If it were me I would go with transporter and ask to go along in the lorry too. Most have CCTV so you could keep you eye on your horse. They are qualified and experienced in moving horses a long way. I would never forgive myself if something happened on the way and I was towing. But it's your decision op, please choose the safest option and not the cheapest x

Spudlet

Visit site
Get someone like Gillies to do it (although if you get one of their big boxes, your horse may turn her nose up at the idea of ever going in a trailer again ;)).

MissSBird

Visit site
I agree with the others and say go for option 1. It will be less stressful for everyone involved, and gives you a chance to get settled in. I assume you are moving house and such as well, so you will have enough on your plate without trying to arrange overnights. Best let those with the contacts do it, as you never know what may happen. When my boy was coming over from Ireland, the transporter ended up stuck in a massive traffic jam. If he hadn't had a place on route to stop the horses would have been on the box for far longer than anyone would like. But because he knew a place, he was able to bring the horses off and let them rest for a bit before continuing the journey. That's not a luxury you'll have. Also, what if you break down half way between a rest point and a destination? Even with good insurance, you might end up with a car out of action somewhere in the midlands and a horse without a stable.

Professionals are the safest bet.

FemelleReynard

Visit site
Does anyone have any idea how much transporters cost? I'm also looking to move a horse from the Midlands to Scotland and don't know whether to go up the professional transport route (but I'm worrying about the cost as it's over 300 miles) or to hire a smaller lorry and do it myself?

Advice would be appreciated.

wyrdsister

Visit site
It's a bit of a coin toss for me. Of my current three, all travel well but I have two sticky loaders, one who will load for me but is outright nasty with anyone else. I've done a 7/8 hour hike with her myself and would probably always opt that way - or at the very least *always* be there to load her personally. Option 2 is probably the most straightforward and means you can plonk your gear in the trailer and trundle on down without the worry of what happens to the horse if you break down. If you go for option 1, take company (preferably someone who can also tow, just in case), a lot of coffee, make sure your breakdown cover includes trailer recovery, and that you know of a few places along the route that could take your horse overnight in the event of an emergency.

jrp204

Visit site
Our boy moved from South Cornwall to Newcastle, he was picked up at 10 am, driven to Gloucester (4hrs) where he stayed overnight, he finished the journey next day. Barry Capstick picked him up and I think someone else did the 2nd half. Barry used a little 2 horse lorry/van.