Transporting kit to your horse

Cocorules

Visit site
I have no secure storage for my kit where I keep my horses and tack up directly from the boot of my car.

That means I transport saddle, bridle, hat, grooming kit, fly spray, kevin bacon hoof grease, vet stuff and riding boots every time.

I have a stubbs plastic saddle holder for the saddle which is ok, provided a wedge it in, otherwise the saddle slips off. I then seem to have masses of separate plastic boxes and bowls to separate out wet and dry kit. Hoof grease is always grubby, fly spray bottles leak, vet stuff had to be kept clean and separate. I end up with wet towels from drying hooves / horse off.

What do you do if you are in a similar position and effectively use the boot of your car as a mobile tackroom?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Can you not leave stuff like hoof oil, medical bits (just a small selection) fly spray etc in a box at the yard or field? Then you only need your tack really in the car?

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Wrap your saddle rack in vet wrap and it stops the saddle slipping as much.
I transport my saddles and have seat covers to keep car clean but seem to be consistently covered in hair which I haven't found a way around.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
re your stubbs saddle rack-superglue a gardening kneel mat/something similar to the top-stops your saddle sliding off.
In my car I have the dog box and the horse box-plastic crates from poundland which get mucked out once a week that live in the back seat.
I also have a large lockable plastic box that I keep non-valuables in (I keep mine in a field, not at a yard so don't know if this would suit you) its 145l, completely water tight and I just leave it in the field with fly spray and different stuff in it-if you google Strata storage trunks you will find it, think I paid a tenner for mine in Morrisons.

Palindrome

Visit site
I keep my tack in the car as well. I have a stubb saddle holder like you but have not been using it lately. I pop the saddlepad and girth overturned on the saddle and it dries in the car. For the rest I have 1 large grooming box that contains headcollar, leadrope, 2 brushes, hoof pick, lunge line, a bottle of iodine and small bits that are currently needed. I also have 1 large grocery bag (the reusable kind) for my helmet, paddock boots, airjacket, hi-viz and it fits the bridle as well if needed. So basically the grooming box is horse stuff and the bag is mostly rider stuff. This keeps everything fairly tidy if I take the time to put everything back where it belongs.

Cocorules

Visit site
Thanks all I especially like Mother of Chickens reference to mucking out the boxes. That is exactly how it feels!

I keep a grooming kit and sprays there but they are not kept near where I can park with the tack. It means taking the horse in one direction for grooming and then coming back the other way to tack up. It is just a lot quicker to have an extra set in the car.