Travel boots or not?

Smogul

Visit site
Travel boots always, would never travel without protection

I generally prefer short boots with knee and hock boots as better protection but use full length too

I am quite surprise at people who say they don't need them, why will their legs not be damaged in the event of accident or if horse panics in side vehicle.
It is like a seat belt you never need it till that faithful day when you do and on that day you either end up injured or worse. My horses are not worth the risk traveling without anything their delicate legs could be seriously injured or worse as we see or hear or horsebox/trailer accidents on our roads.

I don't think comparison with a seat belt is valid. If you watch a horse wearing travel boots, however well fitted, they walk in a slightly different manner. I don't understand the logic of putting a horse in an unstable environment wearing something which affects the way it moves and therefore its balance. Bandages do make sense to me, but not boots.

KM-R

Visit site
The two horses always wear travel boots, even if they're just going round the corner to the farriers....

Son's pony doesn't wear anything though, and at under 11hh with spindly legs I'm not sure where we would get travel boots to fit?? I probably should get her some though.

Fiona

Hi Fiona - I think the Cuddly Ponies travel boots might fit your pony! They seem to come up fairly small if that helps.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
no, never use them-both horses travel twice weekly for short trips. for longer trips to the indoor one wears brushing boots to save me faffing with them when they get there. Neither are shod, both travel well and are well mannered.

Shadowdancing

Visit site
My horse gets far too agitated with them, she's barefoot and a good traveller, however since she cut her leg not looking at what she was doing and sliding off the ramp I think I'll put some tendon boots on from now on.