Travel options.....help please

classic_astra

Visit site
Ok i have a travel dilemma. I currently have a 6.5 tonne horse box which i cant drive *rolls eyes* i have a baby licence and had all good intentions of doing my test, but if im honest i cant afford it right now, so have to rely on people with a granny licence to be able to go anywhere.

Now my other options are....

Sell lorry, get an over priced 3.5 that i can drive.

Get a 4x4 and trailer and take trailer test.

Problem is ive not long took at loan out to get my car ive just bought so would be a shame to sell and get 4x4 as its much more expensive to run as an every day car. Or i could buy a second car (4x4) and just use it to tow. But then ill have another set of tax insurance mot etc etc which will be more expensive than having my current lorry.....

If i went down the trailer route, what do you guys think of a single ifor williams trailer? Are they safe? Ill only ever be travelling 1 horse (14.2) realistically.

Or do i just try to save up to do my c1 test? I love my lorry and its super reliable but it is old and a bit rusty in places.

Im stuck to what to do for the best really?
Just looking for a bit of advice

Cheers guys 😊

coss

Visit site
I have a single trailer... love it
if you're only going to be travelling one then why not sell the lorry and get a small(er) 4x4 and trailer. small horse plus trailer shouldn't be more than 1400kg. paired with the right car you can tow without taking the trailer test. this is what i did initially (had a suitable tow car then bought a single trailer). I have since done my trailer test and have a bigger 4x4 which is happier towing than my last car but it's still not a huge gutsy 4x4 as only has a 2tonne tow capacity. the trailer is nicely narrow in that it follows the car and isn't wider than my car - if my car can get through a gap, so can the trailer. The horses love it, nice and spacious for them to spread legs and balance.

turnbuckle

Visit site
I would take the test. Once you have it you have it and it's only about £1000.

You'll probably lose more with any swap you do.

And 4x4s are sodding expensive as everyday cars.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'd invest in the test. However I have a single Ifor trailer and I love it. It doesn't even need a 4x4 to tow with a pony, many 2L family cars are heavy and powerful enough to easily manage.

Theocat

Visit site
I would take the test. Once you have it you have it and it's only about £1000.

You'll probably lose more with any swap you do.

And 4x4s are sodding expensive as everyday cars.

Agree; every option will cost you money so you might as well invest it in the test. When the lorry dies you can reevaluate, but if you're only towing one you might (depending on the surfaces you two on) not need a 4x4.

equi2012

Visit site
When looking for our trailer we found that the two horse ifor williams are cheaper than the one horse!! The older versions seem more sturdy (personally), so our 505 is perfect!!