Travel question(s)

heth1986

Visit site
Morning!
I have 2 little Welsh A’s, they travel in an Ifor Williams 506. I can’t figure out the best configuration when tying nets / ponies etc, everything seems to end up in the same place. Could I ask what others with little ponies do? They are 11hh and 11.2hh.
At the moment I have bailing twine threaded through the metal bits where the breast bar attaches and also tie their hay onto this as I think it would be too high if I used the ring? Or should I tie the the ponies using this ring? Or cross tie?!
At the moment I tie the ponies to the partition and the hay to the trailer side so that they don’t end up chewing their lead ropes.
Any suggestions / ideas / advice gratefully received… I’ve been out of the horse game for almost 20 years so I have some catching up to do x

Jambarissa

Visit site
We had tie rings installed further down, and the breast bars lowered. What you are doing is the best I can think guven what's available.

It's surprising there's nothing really intended for travelling little ponies!

Annagain

Visit site
My friend's little cob (he's about 13.2 but very short necked) travels on my 510 with my 16.2. It's really cute to see them on there, like little and large but we do struggle with tying the little one up. We do it the other way round from you - haynets to the partition and him to a piece of bailing twine that goes through the breast bar bracket. I think I'd rather tie them to something solid than something that has the potential to move at best or come loose at worst?

Landcruiser

Visit site
When I picked my two Sec A's up from the rescue last autumn, they recommended to travel them loose, with no partition. I blocked the gap under the breast bar by hanging a big piece of ply off it, with a bale of hay fixed in the nose of the trailer behind it so they couldn't push into it. They travelled perfectly like that. I hung big haynets on the normal rings.

dorsetladette

Visit site
When I picked my two Sec A's up from the rescue last autumn, they recommended to travel them loose, with no partition. I blocked the gap under the breast bar by hanging a big piece of ply off it, with a bale of hay fixed in the nose of the trailer behind it so they couldn't push into it. They travelled perfectly like that. I hung big haynets on the normal rings.

We did this when picking up a mini shetland.

OP we had our breast bar lowered - well had additional brackets added to lower them. Then we used the original brackets with string through to tie haynets and ponies up.