Travel time to yard?

cheeky girl

community.webshots.com
Please can people share their experiences of how long it takes them to get to their yard, particularly people who live over 15 minutes from their yard?
Do you cope ok or has the travel made you move to one closer.
Would you go further afield for better facilities?
Please share with me
grin.gif

Thanks

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
I used to do 45 mins in tube then 30-40 mins in car to get to yard but it was too much so I moved closer. I know live about 5 mins from yard and the same from the station. Horse would have to be on full livery and facilities superb to get me to travel again.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
When I first had Amy I used to travel (from Home) about 20 mins. I have sinced moved house, and am now 5 mins away.

At the time I didn't mind. The yard was perfect, and I had no intention of moving horse. But now I live closer it's obviously so much more convenient.

vicm2509

Visit site
It takes me on average about 15-20 mins to drive to my yard which is about the closest decent yard to my house (and half of that drive is on the motorway). I would travel further for better facilities if I needed them but happy where I am for now
smile.gif

cosmo_sam

www.cosmohorse.com
I trave 30mins each way.

It's well worth it for the lovely yard, and hacking, and I've not found it too hard, as I now go once a day instead of twice.

Fuel is an issue, but my yard costs me about half the price of my more local one that I went to twice a day
smile.gif

UKa

community.webshots.com
Hi, I have tried it all I think - from where I first lived when I was in London I had to travel up to 2 hours by bus to get to the yard ( I was only a sharer at the time, though a very dedicated one ) - then moved closer and when I bought my girl lived about 1 hr away (tube and bus) but the journey was worth it wasnt expecting much else being in London and she was on livery Monday to Friday. Next we moved out to the countryside and the yard was about 20mins drive away which was an ok distance but I would not swap it again for what I have now: 10mins by car (that includes parking at the start and end of the journey) or 15-20 mins by bicycle. But if facilities were forcing me to move further away (i do need a floodlit arena really and decent hacking which we are lucky to have) I would consider but ideally our next stop one day will be my own back yard (she dreams).
smile.gif
smile.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
On a weekend or late at night it takes about 30mins but after work it takes 45mins
shocked.gif

I hate having to travel that far, especially if you have other plans or are in a rush but the livery is cheap and the facilities aren't too bad.

Would love to move closer though but haven't found a suitable yard yet.

Twiglet

Visit site
Used to be about a 30 min drive away on country lanes or main roads. Not pleasant after a 1.5 hour commute home from work first!

Now yard is 11 minutes there, and 6 minutes back (different route on way home!).

Definitely makes a difference, especially on petrol costs.

UKa

community.webshots.com
forgot to say that when the journey was longer I could not go up every day and at weekends I only went once a day whereas now I can get up every day easily as well as twice a day definately at weekends and on other days depending on transport situation - loving it!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
It takes me about 15 minutes but its very traffic dependent since I have to negotiate a busy touristy / market town.

He is on full livery though. I go up daily and sometimes twice a day if I feel the need to pop up and hug him or something. The driving doesnt bother me at all and I'd happily drive further if need be. However, the only thing that would concern me about being any further away is if there was an emergency and I needed to be there asap. I find the thought that I could be there relatively quickly quite comforting - even though I know he has 5 * treatment in my absense.

I have driven upto an hour to see my horses in the past. I must admit it soon started to annoy me though!

JACQSZOO

Visit site
I've never been more than 10 minutes away until this summer. I now travel about 20 minutes - its only about 11 miles from home but is all windy lanes. I must be honest its a bit of a pain in the whatsists, but I only go down once a day now and I car share with my best mate.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys that useful. Amymay as you're from our area did you have to encounter rush hour in your old journey or was it 20 mins on a good day?

[/ QUOTE ]
No my 20 mins journey was at 6.00am in the morning - so no traffic. I lived about 8 miles away from the yard at that time.

Chex

Visit site
Just now its 4 miles, usually about 7 mins to drive, but the last yard was 3 mins away, so really handy! When I bought him he was 20 mins away, it was a pain travelling so far, especially if I forgot somethiig, or needed to go up a few times a day.

katiejaye

Visit site
I used to live 10mins from the yard but It takes me 45mins to drive to the yard. I could move him closer but I love where I am and am reluctant to move him when he's so happy. Also yards close to london are very expensive!

HBII

Visit site
It takes me a good hour to get to the yard, which is about 40 miles away from my house. I will move her nearer towards me at some point but the yard I am at at the moment has superb facilities and wonderful support for me and my horse - as she is my first horse and I am still learning.

I have commitments too, two dogs, housework and a partner, but we have discussed it all prior to buying my horse and anyway I suppose he enjoys his free time.

Hope that helps

Hb

Heidi1

Visit site
On a week day it takes me 45min to an hour to get to the yard, weekend around 25 mins. Would love to move closer, but nothing that will allow me to keep my four together in the same field (three mares and one gelding), also facilities are good. Don't mind the travelling really, but hate it when traffic is bad......

cheeky girl

community.webshots.com
Thanks that helps loads I've got a bit of thinking to do. Can't believe how dedicated some people are. I applaud the people who tube and bus to their horses it puts me to shame
blush.gif

Amymay - there's only one 6 o clock in my life but that is an option I suppose then there is no traffic
grin.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
we live about 15 minutes from the yard, there are not any yards closer because we live in town. Its a great comprimise we have a house close to the main shopping centre (15 mins on the bus) and are 15 mins from a yard with all off road hacking and an indoor school we are very lucky

katiejaye

Visit site
It makes me so much happier to know that I am not the only one who has a long journey to the yard every day. I am ever so slightly envious of all you peeps who only have 5min journies...I wish!

melv1lle

sams-progress.blogspot.com
Makes two of us - I live in London as well and keep my horse at a wonderful yard near Windsor - but it takes me up to an hour and a half to get out to him after work (even longer if there has been an accident on the A4) and then takes 40 minutes to drive home again. But I would rather put up with driving any distance than a) not have my horse or b) keep him at a yard in London where there is no turn out. Don't think it helps that the person I live with starts to feel a bit woozy as soon as he leaves Zone 1 and so won't leave central London no matter how much I beg
crazy.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
About 25 mins in the evening after work - and 10 mins on a sat/sun morning - being london the time depends on the traffic! It's a 7 mile journey though....