Traveling to Burghley 2020 from the states

Tbeventer

Visit site
I am looking for some help planning a trip to Burghley next year. I am traveling from the states and have never been out of the country. Where are the best places to stay that wont break the bank? I dont need fancy just need safe as I am also traveling alone. I would also love to meet up with some fellow eventers while I am there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Abi90

Visit site
Are you going to have a hire car or relying on public transport?
You’ll need to book quick. I would avoid Stamford as it will be pricey. If you have the means to travel then Grantham, Oakham, Melton Mowbray are all within an hour. My friends stayed in Corby this year which was cheap and easy to get to Burghley in a car

Nicnac

Visit site
Farcet to Burghley isn't too far as the crow flies. You can get a bus from up the road to Peterborough and then train from Peterborough to Stamford and walk to the site.

claret09

Visit site
you need to book accommodation in stamford town centre itself. i would do it as soon as possible. the lady anne might be an option. the town centre is within easy walking distance of burghley house

oldie48

Visit site
air b&bs in stamford are expensive and quite booked up already. I'd find one on the railway line to Stamford and travel in that way. I don't know the area well enough but if I go I'm intending to stay with a friend in Melton Mowbury and drive in but I'd only be going for XC day.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
Oakham is a nice small market town one stop before Stamford on the train and Peterborough is also one stop but coming in the other direction, both about 12 min on the train. the advantage for you on Peterborough is it is also on a direct line from London, easier to get to from the airport and if you are here for a week or so you can pop down to see the London sites easily. Peterborough also has a larger range of cheaper accommodation hotels etc.
it all depends what your plans are

honetpot

Visit site
If you do not want to hire a car see if anyone is renting a caravan at the Burghley golf club.

Burghley has much more than the XC, PC jumping, young event horse and of course four days of shopping.
There is also the house to look at that has been in numerous films.
Farcet is a bit of a trek by car, I would choose the nearest Travel lodge off the AI, and book a taxis in advance.
If you get there early enough the traffic is not that bad, if the taxi drops you near the main gate you can walk in.

Tbeventer

Visit site
Thank you for all the input. Please keep it coming. The place in farcet is close enough to the train station. By train do you still think it’s too far?

HazuraJane

Visit site
Thank you for all the input. Please keep it coming. The place in farcet is close enough to the train station. By train do you still think it’s too far?
Google Map is your friend. Plug in the names of the places you're considering, then the address of Burghley site, it will show you options for travel and time involved.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
Thank you for all the input. Please keep it coming. The place in farcet is close enough to the train station..........

It’s the distance from farcet to Peterborough station that might be the problem, rural buses are very sporadic and uk taxis expensive

Otherwise

Visit site
I used to live in Peterborough, to me Farcet is quite far out from the station, you'll have to use public transport or taxis neither of which are cheap. I'd try finding something closer personally.

Tbeventer

Visit site
I used to live in Peterborough, to me Farcet is quite far out from the station, you'll have to use public transport or taxis neither of which are cheap. I'd try finding something closer personally.

Where do you suggest? My main concern is a safe pace to stay as I am traveling alone, so I am open to any suggestions.

Foxychops

Visit site
If you get absolutely stuck in live 30 mins from Stamford. Your welcome to stay as long as your not a massive murderer and like dogs!!

Foxychops

Visit site
No cats!! It is a genuine offer. I must warn you I'm not a great hostess, more and animal person!! If I can work it out in will message you with my contact details xx

SOS

Visit site
For ultimate enjoyment try to stay in/or villages surrounding Stamford. The atmosphere is amazing in the town over the weekend, and being a very traditional, small town the traffic is unfortunately horrendous on Burghley weekend. Buses etc can become stuck in the hours of traffic to get in, but on foot you will never be stuck for long. If you must take public transport go for a train - Stamford station has direct trains from Peterborough, Oakham and Melton Mowbray every hour. Or if you are only going to burghley for a day or so and want to stay somewhere lovely Cambridge could even be an option - mind this is well over an hour away on the train. Make sure you bring an extra suitcase for all the shopping you do!

Gamebird

Visit site
Listen, if you're coming all the way from the US, don't choose to stay somewhere that requires a massive effort to get into and out of Burghley each day. A bus (on a very limited schedule) followed by a train sounds bonkers to me. Burghley is exhausting enough by itself! Either stay within walking distance (which may be prohibitively expensive/booked up), somewhere that offers a transport service into Stamford, or somewhere that's on the trainline to Stamford (without involving a connecting bus!). The station in Stamford is a very short walk into Burghley itself which makes it an ideal way to get in.
You really don't need to have any safety concerns, unless you're in the wrong end of a big city late at night, which is highly unlikely if you're going to Burghley!

Tbeventer

Visit site
Hi All,
I have narrowed down my places to stay and wanted to see if any of you would recommend one over the other. I am looking at the Bull Hotel and the Travelodge (Both in Peterborough). It looks like both are within walking distance to the train.

Polos

Visit site
Hi All,
I have narrowed down my places to stay and wanted to see if any of you would recommend one over the other. I am looking at the Bull Hotel and the Travelodge (Both in Peterborough). It looks like both are within walking distance to the train.

the bull hotel is lovely - about 15/20 mins from burghley. We stay in it every year and we are staying there for burghley 2020 :)

Tbeventer

Visit site
Well I managed to find a really nice AirBnB 5 miles from Burghley that was under $200, and also have a friend coming with me!!! So that is booked! For those that have gone, what do you recommend for Show Jump day? Where is the best place to get seats? I am planning to purchase tickets when they go on sale May 1!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I tend to get covered in case.
If you want the presentation to face you at the end then the south stand.

I have mostly sat east stand as the seats are all a bit higher (south/north front row are on the ground) so you get a better view of the whole course, and can watch the entrance too.

AFB

Visit site
Just bare in mind the UK train service is pretty dire if you want to get there on a Sunday!