Traveling to Ireland

Fanatical

Visit site
Does anyone know the rules around travelling to Ireland currently?

I believe England to Republic of Ireland entails 14 days isolation/ quarantine on arrival. However I have heard that England to Northern Ireland does not require you to complete any forms or isolate - which would also mean in theory that you could travel to the Republic or Ireland without quarantine.

I can't get through to the Embassy and have looked on the GOV website and believe the above to be true through the various statements on there but it's not in black and white per se.

Does anyone know or has anyone traveled over recently?

stormox

Visit site
As someone living in Ireland I think it would be unfair for someone to come from.UK and use that method to circumvent our quarantine rules. We have to abide by them so visitors should too.
We got down to very few or no new cases a day by obeying our own strict (much stricter than UK) lockdown rules. My friends father has just died and she has been over spending his last few days with him. She now has to quarantine for two weeks.
Why should visitors try to get round quarantine if we have to obey??

Fanatical

Visit site
As someone living in Ireland I think it would be unfair for someone to come from.UK and use that method to circumvent our quarantine rules. We have to abide by them so visitors should too.

Completely agree. I am a very law obiding citizen and would not want to do wrong hence trying to find out what the actual rules are. It seems to be a bit of a grey area.

Wheels

Visit site
It's not a grey area. All entries into Ireland except from NI or if you are arriving because you are an essential supply chain worker (pilot/seafarer/haulier) are subject to a 14 day quarantine.

Travelling from GB to NI for the reason of then travelling on to Ireland is circumventing the rules. I can't see the Guards being happy if they found out that's what you have done.

Besides that, "Stormont's health minister has been advised that travellers from the rest of the UK present "the greatest risk" of bringing Covid-19 into NI, BBC News NI has learnt." taken from this bbc report https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-53326213

Please don't come unless absolutely essential until this is all a little more under control, thanks :)

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
You are correct it is 14 days quaratine once you are there, no quarantine on coming back as long as you have not been outside the Common Area (UK/Ireland/associated islands in the 14 days before travel). The Irish are getting quite strict from what my friends over there have said. In Sligo, they had 28 days Covid free then have had a whole load of cases, put down to incomers from abroad. The pubs etc are very iffy if they think you are from outside of Ireland.

Fanatical

Visit site
All, with the greatest respect, all I am asking is 'what are the rules'. And does anybody know.

I fully understand the situation, it isn't a game and the threat is very real to all of us. This would be a business trip I am planning - and not doing until it can be clarified what the rules are.

As I stated in my original post, I am looking at the official channels, the GOV website and trying to call the various embassies, but I just wanted to see what opinio was on here and see if anyone had experience of recent travel.

There was supposed to be a 'green list' of countries released today advising from which countries you would be able to travel from into Ireland but this has been put back to later in the week - and it does look like Englad won't be on the list to start with.

stormox

Visit site
All, with the greatest respect, all I am asking is 'what are the rules'. And does anybody know.

I fully understand the situation, it isn't a game and the threat is very real to all of us. This would be a business trip I am planning - and not doing until it can be clarified what the rules are.

As I stated in my original post, I am looking at the official channels, the GOV website and trying to call the various embassies, but I just wanted to see what opinio was on here and see if anyone had experience of recent travel.

There was supposed to be a 'green list' of countries released today advising from which countries you would be able to travel from into Ireland but this has been put back to later in the week - and it does look like Englad won't be on the list to start with.

There is no 'Grey area'. If you come from UK its a 14 day quarantine. End of. Please respect our country and stay away - the rule is there for a purpose.

LegOn

Visit site
To be fair to the OP - that 'green list' isnt released yet and the problem is the quarantine is currently 'advisory'. There are currently lots of cases of American tourists in Kerry and the west of Ireland.

I also know of a very large show going ahead in August and has admitted to bringing in judges from the mainland UK they are bringing in via NI... no mention of quarantine or any other protocols at the show and wont refund anyone as they closed refunds in MARCH! With over 400 stables onsite all sold out - I dont know how its allowed to go ahead or where to even report it to!!! :oops:

paddi22

Visit site
To be fair to the OP - that 'green list' isnt released yet and the problem is the quarantine is currently 'advisory'. There are currently lots of cases of American tourists in Kerry and the west of Ireland.

I also know of a very large show going ahead in August and has admitted to bringing in judges from the mainland UK they are bringing in via NI... no mention of quarantine or any other protocols at the show and wont refund anyone as they closed refunds in MARCH! With over 400 stables onsite all sold out - I dont know how its allowed to go ahead or where to even report it to!!! :oops:

how is the NIF going ahead?? wtf!! are they joking? that is a disgrace

stormox

Visit site

Yes there are American tourists in Kerry - and they are being turned away from restaurants etc if they cant prove they have been in quarantine.

LegOn

Visit site
Yes there are American tourists in Kerry - and they are being turned away from restaurants etc if they cant prove they have been in quarantine.

I heard about that restaurant alright who questioned them and it was a good call for his staff. It would be hard for all businesses to ensure that with all their bookings or visitors though.

stormox

Visit site

Do you mean the NIF? That doesnt come under Irish quarantine rules though as its Northern Ireland surely? And NI comes under UK..... which has had a much less strict lockdown and quarantine than Ireland.

LegOn

Visit site
Do you mean the NIF? That doesnt come under Irish quarantine rules though as its Northern Ireland surely? And NI comes under UK..... which has had a much less strict lockdown and quarantine than Ireland.

Its called the Northern Ireland festival but its actually held in Cavan which is physically in Southern Ireland - not part of the UK Northern Ireland. Has the Euro etc!

paddi22

Visit site
I heard about that restaurant alright who questioned them and it was a good call for his staff. It would be hard for all businesses to ensure that with all their bookings or visitors though.

from what I hear a huge amount of businesses are turning away Americans and being quite public about it. my best guess would be it's because they know they could possibly be depending on local customers if we go back into lockdown etc and they don't want to be boycotted by locals. there is a huge amount of local hostility towards tourists from what I can see. I live in a very touristy area and they have no problem not allowing Americans in and being quite vocal and public about it.

stormox

Visit site
from what I hear a huge amount of businesses are turning away Americans and being quite public about it. my best guess would be it's because they know they could possibly be depending on local customers if we go back into lockdown etc and they don't want to be boycotted by locals. there is a huge amount of local hostility towards tourists from what I can see. I live in a very touristy area and they have no problem not allowing Americans in and being quite vocal and public about it.
Im in the Kingdom of Kerry and plenty of local places are turning Americans and others away if they havent done the necessary quarantine period.