Travelling 3yo in a trailer for the first time - thoughts?

tobiano1984

Visit site
In the past I've thought nothing of putting every horse in a trailer, even babies, but after seeing so many recent stories of awful problems with horses freaking out or going over the breast bar, I'm a bit more wary! I've travelled 3yo cobbies and TBs quite happily (the later were allready well travelled), but the one in question now is a warmblood, very sensible but not as resilient as a cob. I'd like to be able to put him in the trailer to get him out and about before he's sold later in the year.

I've travelled him in a friends 3.5 ton lorry, on his own - no breastbar, facing backwards. He was fine for a short journey - at this stage he had barely even been handled. He kicked out a few times and was very wobbly but we made it in one piece! But in that lorry there wasn't much that could go wrong.

What are your thoughts HHOers? I presume it would be most sensible to travel him with a companion in a trailer for the first time, although that makes me a bit wary again as if he freaked out you could potentially end up with more than one injured horse. Am I overthinking it?! Mostly because I've never owned such a valuable horse haha!

Journeys would be very short to start with - just to the local indoor which is 10/15 mins away.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
when I bought my trailer I just fed my horse on it a few times and made sure he wasn't scared of it and so that I could load him on my own!

He travelled on it for the first time, with my mare, as they were moving yards then after that I travelled him alone when he went off to be backed! he was fine, every time, so not sure I'd have considered that he would panic about it or anything! he then travelled weekly for lessons! and now im on a yard with a school he only travels when he goes to the vets or somewhere!

9tails

Visit site
I'd say you're overthinking it. Travel first time with a steady companion, preferably his friend, plenty of hay and go round the block. I had a non-loader, I wasn't at all concerned about the journeys we would make as I just wanted her on. Once she became a loader, we've gone out alone and in company with no issues whatsoever. If he's a bit dodgy to load, practice that until he's rock solid. I found that once they go on willingly, they travel much better.

Asha

Visit site
I've travelled all my youngsters in a trailer. My now 3 yo had an accident and needed to go to the vets, so she had to travel alone. Travelled absolutely fine, she's a WB, and can be quite sharp. I'd say you are over thinking it too. As you have time, I would do as the others recommend, and get her loading for fun before you go anywhere. I use carrots , it works every time.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I'd say you're overthinking it. Travel first time with a steady companion, preferably his friend, plenty of hay and go round the block. I had a non-loader, I wasn't at all concerned about the journeys we would make as I just wanted her on. Once she became a loader, we've gone out alone and in company with no issues whatsoever. If he's a bit dodgy to load, practice that until he's rock solid. I found that once they go on willingly, they travel much better.

This.

Dry Rot

Visit site
One of my 3yo's went off to Wales last week and, with rest overs, arrived on the following Tuesday. I trust Gillies implicitly and was surprised he had to be loaded sideways (i.e. a side door) into a space not much bigger than himself. He was travelled loose, no breast bar and no hay net. He arrived OK so I assume the journey was without incident. I think a long journey for a first journey is probably best as they have time to get used to it. Alternatively, a short journey ending with something nice -- perhaps a big bowl of something they enjoy or fresh grass.

I was taught not to unload immediately on arrival as horses learn to anticipate being unloaded and become impatient at every stop. Sounds like sense to me!

All my youngsters are taught to expect feed in the trailer, then a small mesh hay net so they linger in there and get used to it. The trailer is a nice safe place to be.

Not the same, but young dogs/pups usually hate travelling. I used to take up to a dozen 'saplings' off to training on birds by putting them in the back of my pickup. Predictably, they were all sick the first few times. When they began to realize where they were going, they would be clamouring to get into the truck! There's a moral there somewhere.

Bungo

Visit site
Don't Overthink or worry about it. Me & my friend have bred many youngsters and sold them resulting in them travelling prodigious distances. The main thing is to teach them to load calmly and that travelling is a good experience with nice hay/haylage & nothing to worry about. My friends youngsters we have travelled after a couple of practice loads then went from Yorkshire to Scotland or South Wales in a trailer . My own youngster I practice loaded onto my trailer then I sold her to a friend in the South of France. She was transported by a professional company in a 12 horse transporter, loaded in a howling gale and rain, went from Yorkshire to Anglesey before arriving in Suffolk. Stayed overnight in Suffolk, waited 6 hours at Dover for the ferry, then travelled all the way to the south of France. She was 3. She was used by the transport company throughout the journey to lead on and off many older/experienced horses she was so laid back. If you make loading a non event the travelling is the easy bit. What I find is once they are loaded get moving, it's the hanging around and your anxiety that sets them off. Hope this helps 😀

foraday

Visit site
A professional transport company would travel them loose in a foal box - safest thing to do. All partitions removed to make a full height travelling stable. Shavings on the floor so soak up wee and wet poo and the inevitable 'box walking' and haylage on the floor.

Gillies never travel with hay/haylage as they do not travel for more than 8 hours the required time before feeding.

If you are worried, take out the partition of the trailer and the front breast bars.

Shavings on the floor and hay in corners on the floor.

Load up with food and shut the back doors let handler out through the jockey door but leave the headcollar on (use a leather one) and off you go.

IF you are worried still then ask for a quote from the professionals on www.findhorsetransport.org

It will be more expensive but you will have peace of mind using a proper transporter (I am not talking of those ice cream vans either)

stormox

Visit site
I think you are worrying too much....take partition out, put in a big haynet, make sure you have enough fuel- it sometimes unsettles them if you stop- dont feed for a few hours beforehand so he's hungry and eats the hay, just load him in shut ramp and go.I would tie him up both sides so he cant turn round. I have started travelling many youngsters who havent been travelled before with no bother and all have become perfect travellers/loaders.
I would make the first few journeys 1/2 hour + so he has time to get adrenaline levels down, and comes out calm and settled.

tobiano1984

Visit site
Thanks everyone, this makes me feel better. Loading/unloading isn't an issue for him - he went straight on a side load small lorry and off very politely, so I'm hopeful a trailer won't be any different - I will get it out and practice a bit!

Definitely think I am overthinking it - never had an issue before but just heard a few horror stories..!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
There's always horror stories and not just about young horses.

The only thing you can do is make all the necessary precautions and hope you don't encounter a horrible situation on the way.