Travelling 5 dogs and need to tow 511 .. Amarok?

Moogleberry

Visit site
Hi

i have five dogs 4 x border collies and a spaniel…we do agility, I also need to tow 2 x cobby types in a 511. At the moment I’m using a VW Transporter 4x4 but it’s had a few problems and now I have trust issues ?

A normal 4x4 isn’t big enough for the dogs plus all the junk I cart around so was considering an Amarok or similar with a canopy which has been made dog friendly and secure (looking at Pegasus Canopies). Two things worry me, ventilation for the dogs on hot days if we are stuck on a motorway or similar and the height compared to the van….can use a ramp but bit of a pain when wet and muddy …

I wondered if anyone used a pickup as a dog mover and how you’d found it?

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Sounds like a great option and the Pegasus Canopies are next-level superb!

TBH any high tow-capacity dual-cab pickup should do the job.

ETA That said, you might need to put your tack on a rack in the front of the 511 (I had a dismountable, 'hook on' 2-saddle Stubbs thing) or get a tack pack? Either that or sacrifice the rear seats!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I know a couple of sporty people who got Amaroks but didn't keep them long. What about a long wheelbase Caddy? I have seen them towing but not sure of capacity.

Moogleberry

Visit site
Thanks for the replies sadly a caddy can’t tow enough … it’s so difficult I can get a great doggy mover or a tow vehicle with the right capacity but it’s hard to get one to do both ?

it will be my everyday driving vehicle too so has a lot of boxes to tick

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Ssang Yong rexton might be worth a look. 7 so loads of room in the back and can tow 3.5 tonnes. I don't tow with mine but get one over sized rottweiler and two labs in with loads of room to spare, in the space where the two back seats are iyswim.

palo1

Visit site
A slightly older Ford Ranger is a beast of a thing and the vehicle of choice in these parts for hill farmers taking their dogs and towing trailers of sheep/cattle. They are hugely powerful with loads of room. I don't know what the new ones are like but I know of several slightly older ones that are superbly reliable.

maisie06

Visit site
Hi

i have five dogs 4 x border collies and a spaniel…we do agility, I also need to tow 2 x cobby types in a 511. At the moment I’m using a VW Transporter 4x4 but it’s had a few problems and now I have trust issues ?

A normal 4x4 isn’t big enough for the dogs plus all the junk I cart around so was considering an Amarok or similar with a canopy which has been made dog friendly and secure (looking at Pegasus Canopies). Two things worry me, ventilation for the dogs on hot days if we are stuck on a motorway or similar and the height compared to the van….can use a ramp but bit of a pain when wet and muddy …

I wondered if anyone used a pickup as a dog mover and how you’d found it?

Would be well up for the job, I have seen severalof them on shoots full of dogs, labs and spaniels so no worries with 4 collies and a spanner - great towing vehicles too.

GSD Woman

Visit site
IMO you can't go wrong with a Toyota. Is the Sienna sold in the UK? Here one with a towing package is available. Several friends drive Siennas. One has over 300,000 miles on it.
When I need to replace my Mazda I hope I can afford a Sienna.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Isuzu rodeo truck. I have one, it towed beautifully, Ive got 3 dogs and they travel in the back in crates, mines a double cab so you could in theory travel them in the cab with harnesses. The back does have little opening windows so there is air flow although I assume you could also fit a fan/ventilation to the roof