Travelling an unhandled yearling.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I am picking up a yearling tomorrow for a friend in my Ifor single trailer and it isn't halter broken. It's only travelling a few miles.
I was wondering the best way to set the trailer up for travelling it. It's about 12.2hh. We hope to get a headcollar on it in a box before we load it and drive it into the trailer. My thought was to take the breast bar out and leave it loose in there. I don't want to attempt to tie it up normally as I did that with one once and it immediately got over the breast bar . I wondered whether to wedge a bale or two of straw into the front to keep it away from the jockey door.
How have you worked it travelling unhandled youngsters? Any tips other than make sure all the top doors are shut!

paulineh

Visit site
Yes I would put a couple of bales of straw up against the front door. I would give it a nice deep bed of straw and travel it loose. Make sure there is no way it can get out, make sure the back is also covered above the ramp.

I bought my yearling up from Cornwall in my friends small lorry by putting a thick bed down and travelling loose. We also bought a foal from the same yard that way.

be positive

Visit site
Do shut the top door above the ramp, someone I knew had a pony weanling jump out while they were moving, it was very lucky to survive, the cars following all managed to stop and avoid it, traveling loose is really the only way, make sure the jockey door is also locked properly.

eggs

Visit site
I'd take the breast bar out, bed down with straw and shut the top doors. Don't tie the foal up but it would be very helpful to have got a foal slip on but make sure there is nothing in the trailer that it could get caught on.

You will need to consider where you are going to unload the yearling as you don't want him escaping when you drop the ramp.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
We are sorted for when we unload the pony :) Wish us luck and no dramas. I think & hope that it is small enough that if it tries to turn round in the trailer it won't get stuck.