Travelling boots for a skinny legged horse!!!

Kahlua

Visit site
As title - I have a 15.2hh mare with very skinny legs. Tried a set of Mark Todd cob size travelling boots. Right height but far too big width wise. Anyone got any suggestions?
I hate float boots, the amount of times I’ve had them slip down, twist around and cause more issues than help! So I usually just travel my horses in bell boots and work boots or if I want more protection I bandage knee to foot with a pillow pad underneath - if you go the bandage route obviously make sure you are a confident bandager because these could also cause issues if they become unraveled

Shay

Visit site
It comes down to how long you want to transport and what for.

Personally I would always rather use travel boots than bandages / gamgee. And from over 20 years in competition - plus extensive experience with pony club folk- have seen enough accidents to know why you use proper boots not brushing / over reach etc.

It is quite true that professional transporters do not use boots. But they are what it says on the tin - professional. Absolutely if you have that type of experience driving a large horse box and that type of exposure that the 1 in 100 type accident doesn't floor you - go for it. But if you are single horse in a domestic type (i.e. not HGV) lorry or trailer - then properly fitted boots are worth it. It only takes one acccident to loose your beloved ned.

You do need to fit travel boots correctly. You have a 15.2 with skinny legs - but tried to fit her with cob size boots which are specifically designed for wider legs. That isn't going to work. You'll never get them tight enough. Simply switch to small TB or large pony size boots! There isn't a massive height difference boot wize between a 148cm and a 15.1hh. Look at Whittaker, weatherbeeta or mark todd type boots. Any make which gives you a better size defination than "pony / cob / full" which in fact translates to "fits no-one".

Some horses genuinely don't fit travel boots. It isn't common - but it does happen. They are a bit "one size fits most". If you really can't get boots to fit them then proper pads and gamgee - but you do need to be sure you can bandage correctly as, just as with wearing work boots, you can overheat the tendons and cause damage. If you are only going short distances - then you might get away with work boots etc. But you absolutely would not want to transport for several hours that way.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Wraps are good, just a thick pad with velco fastenings, quick and conform to the horse's leg. I always used to bandage mine, but wraps are easier if your horse is dancing around while you are trying to do/undo bandages.

I tend not to use anything now for travelling, but I realise that if you are going to a competition and your horse scrapes its leg as it comes down the ramp ............................