Travelling Broodmares

jomiln

www.westendfarmstud.co.uk
I am looking at travelling 2 broodmares from Somerset to Yorkshire. 1 of the mares is due in about 5/6 weeks, the other is due mid April.

I believe that both mares travel well and live together at the moment so wouldnt be stressed by seperation.

What experience has anyone had of transporting mares this close to foaling?

Holly831

Visit site
People do travel mares to studs to foal very late in pregnancy.

However yours is a long journey and I would try and plan at least one break in if I could. If it was me I would try and find a yard half way where they could be rested overnight.

Just my opinion though! :)

koeffee

Visit site
are you getting her transported??? ken gamble is good for traveling infoal mares, and he has a yard half wayish, could be stabled over night???

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
We had mares arrive this morning from France going to Ireland they are all due withing the next four weeks and are just having a 12 hour stop here on their way over. There are no real problems with travelling mares in the stage of pregnancy that your mares are in. Just make sure you give them plenty of room on the lorry.

irishdraught

Visit site
You may already be aware but if you are using a transport company, part of the DEFRA regs state that a mare is unfit to travel if within the last 10% of their pregnancy (unless accompanid by a dedicated attendant - which many transporters don't do) so don't leave it too late otherwise you may be stuck.