Travelling horse......

Halfpass

Visit site
..........do you tie yours up?

Mainly when / if I ever tie a horse up when travelling it isn't to save the horse if I have to break suddenly.

It is usually because the horse either bites the other horses in next to them or because the horse has a tendancy to charge out before i can get the partition across.

Have just had a convo with someone re their horse that is bad travelling and when I suggested travelling them loose this person seemes quite shocked and thought that tieing up would stop the horse falling over if they had to break sharply.

I actually think that having your horse tied up and falling over may well do more damage.

I have travelled many horses untied and find it very ineteresting to see how they move themselves to stabilise in a way they couln't if they were tied.

Thoughts on this please
grin.gif

Bens_Mum

Visit site
My horse that was a bad traveler used to be much happier un-tied he seemed to find it easier to balance? I had a couple of people think it was strange but it did seem to relax him. Obviously I suppose most people would fear them turning around but this was never a problem...

Halfpass

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My horse that was a bad traveler used to be much happier un-tied he seemed to find it easier to balance? I had a couple of people think it was strange but it did seem to relax him. Obviously I suppose most people would fear them turning around but this was never a problem...

[/ QUOTE ]

If they do turn round though then they are obviously happier travelling that way!!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
only tie ours cos they would argue a bit too much otherwise!

I wouldn't expect a bit of rope and baler twine to try and hold them up!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I think I tie up through habit. Thinking about it, ours probably don't need to be tied as they are generally well behaved and stuff their faces with hay when travelling. Although did have one that would try to crawl under the front of the partition (wasn't the brightest
smirk.gif
) so he always needed to be tied up!

Plus our partitions are mahoosive so not much chance they could do anything, although would always tie up if the horse is waiting in the box at a show - don't really know why - just would
smile.gif

Dubsie

Visit site
I tie daughters little pony up but relatively loosely such she can bob her head about enough from side to side and up/down for balance (and reach the back of the hay as she is only little but greedy) but not such that she can get a leg over the rope or duck her head under the bar, which she would if she could I'm sure. She's nimble and almost slim enough and dinky enough to turn around in her side of the partition if she could get under the bar too, so I'd not put it past her to try it out for fun if untied, I can imagine the knot she'd get into!

welshied

Visit site
I tie mine up cause if not big bargy cob trys to turn round and barge out the back door lol He doesn't like travelling

Tnavas

Visit site
Depends if you have a partitioin with a head grille. I've seen horses get their heads around one and then panic because they can't get it back.

Another I had turn round - he had no patitioin and had untied himself.

I never tie up until the ramp is up and secured and when taking them off I always untie before dropping the ramp. Have had a horse flip ouot and over backwards because dumb person tied it up before the back was up.