Travelling horses in the heat

LouiseG

Visit site
I'm taking my horse and a friend out on Sunday for a hack, it's probably around 45 - 60 minutes one way, then back.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips for making the journey comfortable in the heat? I have an Ifor Williams 511 with side windows which open, a roof vent and was thinking of keeping both top back doors open, would this create enough ventilation to keep them comfortable? As we are going on Sunday I dont expect any traffic delays or sitting around at a standstill.

Once we have finished the hack would it be best to hose down before loading etc?

Thank you! :) Any suggestions welcome!!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'm sure he will be fine like that. I always pour a bucket of water over the haynet too, so they get moisture on the hay too. A sponge down before coming back would no doubt help. if it is really baking, perhaps wet a summer sheet and put that on.

TBH I don't think they will get that hot if you're moving, its if you ever get stuck in traffic that it gets awkward. Always make sure that you have extra water containers just in case.

SpottedCat

Visit site
It'll be fine. I travelled mine 5-6hrs up to Yorkshire on Friday afternoon, stopped once to offer water she didn't want, then did some long hacks on Sat and Sun, then boxed her home Monday. She wasn't even sweating when I got her off.