Travelling in a Lorry

TicTac

Visit site
My mare hops in and out of a lorry no problem and travels very well but, she must lean on her backside because every time I travel her she ends up with a sore patch on the muscle either side of her tail. She is very thin skinned so rubs very easily. This happened over the weekend when I took her out. I do put a tail bandage on but I could do with something that can give her protection either side of her tail as well.

Does anybody else have this problem with their horse? I am a very careful driver to the point of being overly cautious at times so it's not my driving as it happens every time. Sometimes it can take weeks for the sore to heal over.

Shazzababs

Visit site
I used to have the same problem with my old TB.

He used to rub himself raw on long journeys.

We ended up mounting a squidgy pad on the lorry at the right height. Didn't stop him rubbing but it stopped him getting as sore.

We also used to tape a big chunk of foam onto his tail, over the gaurd (to make it stick out past his bottom). This worked well too with the pad.

ironhorse

Visit site
You can get a padded guard for their bottoms from N.E.W - think Rideaway sell them. A cheaper alternative and one that worked for a big show hunter we had was to hang an old dog bed in the back of the partititon for him to lean on.

Tnavas

Visit site
Is she travelling facing forwards, backwards or sideways?

Apart from addong the xtra padding try facing her in the opposite direction.

I've just had my lorry converted so that the horses can travel facing backwards - no more rubbed tails or kicking horses. They travel so much better facing backwards.

cronkmooar

Visit site
This is so annoying! mine also does it - nothing like arriving at a show with your perfectly turned out horse only to find he has a red raw backside
grin.gif

The quarter guard - I got mine from rideaway (£14) works. I also put a bit of vaseline on the patch that gets rubbed.

You need to tie the guard on quite firmly or it will slip off - with it I use a tail bandage and padded tail bag on top of that then quarter guard tied to all and it seems to stay in place.

The first time I used it I used it with just a tail bandage - not very sucessful arrived at show - horse with rubbed bum and quarter guard lying in the middle of a pile of poo!

Hope this helps

mbequest

Visit site
The Best thing that we have found is some thick grey drainage pipe, the 4inch wide stuff. Cut a piece as wide as the back of the space between the partititions. If you have a rug rack, hang it from there. If you thread the rope through the middle, then it will swivel when she leans on it, and is therefore unable to rub on it. Then when you don't need it, ie with another horse in there, then simply swing it up and over the side into the rug rack. Cheap and by far and away the most effective thing we have found.