Travelling issues

paigebeaa

New User
Visit site
Hiya, just wanted to ask advice on what people would do in my situation. I have re-trained my horse to load using TRT after we broke down and he subsequently wouldn't go in. I have now got it to the point where he will walk in unassisted most of the time (when he doesn't I just lead him in). I have put in a lot of work at home, closing the trailer, opening it, leaving him on the box and he is fine now. The problem is that whilst in the trailer, if we hit traffic or stop at a light he will stomp like crazy, to the point that my car moves a lot. He doesn't do this when pulling into home/the venue and waiting to be taken off and is fine when we are moving. Is this impatience? What can I do to stop it? For context he travels in a single horse box, with no boots and poll guard. I am also trying some silent ears to see if this might help. I'd appreciate any advice.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Following with interest.

Mine is similar, as soon as we're not moving he starts stomping and kicking (for attention). The only way to deal with it so far has been to talk to him the whole time (which wasn't possible when I used transporters in a time of covid and couldn't travel with them) or to sedate him which isnt ideal if I want to show at the end of the journey.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
If you can, I appreciate its not always possible, but try and read the traffic. So for instance if you can see the lights are going to change, go really slowly so you can creep forwards. If you have to be stationary I used to keep quite a gap from the car in front and literally rock the trailer.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If he is fine at the venue and home, then I can see 4 things potentially being different when travelling.

1. Traffic stopping behind you.
2. Engine staying on.
3. Maybe you use foot brake instead of hand brake.
4. Busier atmosphere/horse knows more journey is still to come so is more lit up.

I had one similar. We went for many small drives, stopping randomly. We stopped and waited for him to regain his composure, stayed stopped a bit longer before moving off. Also stayed on board after arrival at the location, with the ramp up so nothing changed. We would stop with engine on or engine off.

I felt that stopping had to lose the idea that it was anything other than routine. Stopped or not, engine on or off, ramp up or down, it all meant nothing as regards what was happening.

We would take the box to the shops, petrol station, post office or wherever. I would do some shopping without even opening the ramp (as long as it wasn't too hot) and go home again, all without communicating anything with the horse. His job was to eat hay.