Travelling,keeping clean and a tail bag question!

cob&onion

Visit site
My cob has a white tail which takes ages to wash as its so thick and gets really yellow/mucky, i wash it before she travels and put her tail bandage on, but when she comes out the trailer its always covered in muck as are her inside hind legs!!!!
I know we can get a tail bag, however are the tail bags safe to leave on in the field? how long can you safely leave them on for? i obviously know not to leave a tail bandage on but having never used a bag before am not sure how they attach? :confused:

Also Any tips for hind legs staying white whilst travelling would be useful too!! :) but i guess thats just going to be to take some water and wash them down when we arrive!

FriendlyCob

Visit site
Hi

I wrap my cob legs right up over the hocks when travellingfor this reason and on on occasion he managed to get c*** down the gamgee- I wish i knew how ;)

On the tail bag front the best one I have is home made bag with draw string tie so you plait the tail then thread the string through andf tie it on- because its not wrapped on its tied it doesn't affect the circulation cos you just thread it through tail so I warm up in mine too.

hope that helps xx

ThePony

Visit site
I feel your pain!

My mare always has a nice wet poo right down her back her back legs the second her travel boots come off - lovely!

She has her back boots on until the absolute last second when I get on. For her tail I plait it and then wrap in half and put a tail bandage on for the bottom half. Top half covered with her tail guard. I have a tail bag and guard all in one and it is utterly useless! Was gutted as I thought it would be the answer to my prayers!

In the winter I split her tail into three and plait each one. Once a week I take them out, wash the bottom of it, mane and tail spray, and plait back up again. Keeps it in tip top condition!

ironhorse

Visit site
Tailbags are attached through the centre of a loose braid that is plaited into the tail...best ones for going out in the field are fastened with a velcro tab so that it will come away if the horse got his tail caught in a hedge or similar. have a look on www.tailgator.co.uk
These are excellent if a little pricey - if you were really good with a sewing machine you could possibly make your own!
We leave them on our show horses for up to a couple of weeks if the weather is bad between shows...then take the tail out of the bag, wash, conditionm, dry, rebraid and rebag!
They are great for travelling and even working in at shows where the arena is dusty or sandy...as a fellow sufferer of a white tailed horse I know :D

cob&onion

Visit site
In the winter I split her tail into three and plait each one. Once a week I take them out, wash the bottom of it, mane and tail spray, and plait back up again. Keeps it in tip top condition!

I like the tail bandage tip!!

Do you fold the plaits up aswell, my cobs tail is long (fetlock length) but its so beautiful i don't want to cut it!!! how do you get them to stay up if you do? have tried this at night but it always falls down!

ThePony

Visit site
yep - just fold to keep it slightly out of mud and poo range! If it is a mega thick and heavy tail then you can just stich the plait back on itself - nothing will shift that!