Travelling loose in lorry

Brenjack

Visit site
Is it ok to travel a horse loose in a lorry. My friend has a horse that is a nightmare to travel - horse seems to completely freak out at being confined. Loads ok but has complete fit once confined - rearing and all sorts to the point of being dangerous. Doesn't even matter if she travels him with his field mate - just seems to completely freak out.

Somebody on her yard has suggested she try travelling him loose - that way he won't be confined and will have no choice but to sort himself out.

What do others think....I'm not sure I'd do it but am interested in what others think.

Llanali

Visit site
Very common on hunt yards to travel multiple horses loose with no partitions- they quickly get used to it :)

If its safer for a particular horse that way then I would- I never tie up when in partitions anyway and have happily travelled two together with no partition between!

mutley75

Visit site
Every mare and foal that travel between Newmarket and Ireland or France travel in loose boxes. You must just make sure either you have proper partitions ( to the floor, not half ones with hanging rubber) or take them all out. As long as there is nothing to get hooked up on or stuck under it is a perfectly safe way to travel. I travel lots of horses this way.

IndygoGirl

Visit site
I have a large broodmare for whom my truck is a very snug fit when travelling partitioned. She has previously colicked severely whilst travelling partitioned before and now travels loose with the partitions out. Never had a problem and would have no issue travelling another sensible horse this way.