Travelling mare and foal in a 3.5t lorry

Custard Cream

Visit site
Needing to move mare and foal at the weekend. The trailer we normally borrow doesn't have a full width breech bar so unless we find another trailer (none close for hiring) the only alternative is a 3.5t (brand new Alexander's) lorry.

Never travelled mare in one of these, though she loads and travels well in both trailers and lorrys. Are they safe to travel a mare and foal in?

Abacus

Visit site
I haven't tried but I would be careful if it's one with a low breast bar - an agile foal may easily decide to go over the top - I'd look for ones with weave grilles fitted, or a full height wall. You may be able to take out the partition so they travel together rather than separately. Assuming the foal is pretty young still, they may prefer this.

Abacus

Visit site
Not sure where you are located but Equestrivan in Reading do 3.5 tonne hire and their 'stallion' box has a full height wall. I don't like the quality of the build overall but I would hire one.

PuzzlePiece

Visit site
I've successfully travelled mares and foals together in 3.5t boxes but only in those with separate groom/horse areas. Partition out and large straw bed for the foal to lie down if needed. I'm not sure I'd risk it with just a breast bar. Good luck

chillipup

Visit site
Would stacking hay or straw bales tightly to provide a wall, be appropriate? as it could prove to be a cheap and cheerful method.
I don't know the inside layout of the box you're talking about but just thought it might be worth mentioning. Apologies if it sounds ridiculous. :(