Travelling Miniature Shetland....

PetalPower

Visit site
Probably a numpty question but just wondered how to safely transport a miniature Shetland in a trailer? Since I normally only carry horses I'm a bit at a loss with the diddy ones!

Do you cross tie, leave loose, put bedding in, etc?

Would really appreciate some advice on the safest way to travel a little 'un!!

Thanks in advance!

MrsElle

Visit site
We travelled ours loose, with just some sawdust down and they were fine.

We didn't actually have a trailer when we needed to move them so they went in the back of OH's transit.......... the benefit of having tiny ponies!

imafluffybunny

Visit site
I travel my Shetland on one side of the partition but cross tied.
What type of trailer is it ? I have had lower hook thingys put in on my Ifor Williams 510 so I can put the bar across at Shetland height :)

Vicki-Finn-Perry

Visit site
Last time I travelled my shetty I cross tied him and put straw bales around him for support (herringbone lorry type) if it hadn't of been a 3hour journey I would of left him loose :)

PetalPower

Visit site
I travel my Shetland on one side of the partition but cross tied.
What type of trailer is it ? I have had lower hook thingys put in on my Ifor Williams 510 so I can put the bar across at Shetland height :)

It's a Bateson Ascot but owner of the diddy one is considering buying 505. Putting a bale of hay in the front sounds like a plan!

POLLDARK

Visit site
I just tie mine in the nose end of the IW505, if he's not tied it is a race to catch him when I open the door. He has no balance problems like a leggier pony/horse as his centre of gravity is a lot lower !!!;)

MissSBird

Visit site
We used a bale of shavings when travelling a mini in a big trailer so he couldn't wander off under the breaching bar. Have also seen someone attach a low level breeching bar when they had a mini who travelled regularly.

The shetland breeder I used to show for used to travel his 4 at a time in a sheep trailer!

BigRed

Visit site
when I moved my shetland I had to travel him backwards, with the rope tied to the back ramp. When I tied him up in the normal position at the front of the trailer, he kept walking into the nose area of the trailer and he kicked open the jockey door ! little devil.

Enfys

Visit site
and this is how the serious mini peple do it :D

WFM-Gooseneck-Trailer-09042006-019-300x225.jpg

http://horseandman.com/handy-tips/m...really-thought-about-them-until-this-weekend/

Custom converted, how about custom made to fit ON the bed of your truck!!!