Travelling on ferry

Leona

New User
Visit site
I'm travelling my horses from Scotland to Menorca. I have a converted Renault master transit van and have been told we need to have lashing points for the ferry journeys. Can anyone enlighten me to where these points need to be?

be positive

Visit site
No idea where the lashing points should be but had to pick up on traveling horses, as in 2? as in not ponies? that distance in a van, unless they are very light and you are taking very little with you to cater for them en route then you are risking being overweight.
I have no idea how many days it will take to allow for stopping to give them proper rests but you will need to take water and hay and allow for any delays, have overnight stops planned with a contingency in case anything goes wrong, I wish you all the best but if it were me I would be paying for my horses to travel professionally rather than in a tiny van, if it were 2 small ponies I would be less bothered.

Leona

New User
Visit site
Thank you Keith, most helpful.
Be helpful, thank you for your input. Believe me I am not going at travelling my horses lightly! One horse and his companion Shetland pony. We have been at the weigh bridge all loaded up with water and hay, full tank of fuel etc, etc. We may be teetering at the max weight but obviously this will lesson as the journey progresses. I have a company who have organised the stops for me and we are taking 8 days to complete the trip but have set aside 2 weeks for "contingencies". I have done the journey back and forth for several years albeit in a car and only with dogs so know exactly where I am going. The longest they will be in said "tiny" van, which is a high top and a long wheel base has stallion partitions and even a small air con unit btw, is a max of 4& 1/2 hrs. They are in it for much longer when we go to events. The cost is not the issue as far as I'm concerned. My horse has health issues and unless you know what to look out for can be very serious for him. Therefore there is no way I'd leave him in the hands of the "professionals". I do hear your concerns over the welfare of my horses and I feel I have done everything I can to ensure their trip as well as mine is the safest and most comfortable it can be.

CMcC

Visit site
No idea where the lashing points should be but had to pick up on traveling horses, as in 2? as in not ponies? that distance in a van, unless they are very light and you are taking very little with you to cater for them en route then you are risking being overweight.
I have no idea how many days it will take to allow for stopping to give them proper rests but you will need to take water and hay and allow for any delays, have overnight stops planned with a contingency in case anything goes wrong, I wish you all the best but if it were me I would be paying for my horses to travel professionally rather than in a tiny van, if it were 2 small ponies I would be less bothered.

I have to agree with be positive. For that distance I don’t think a transit conversion would be suitable. Would be looking at professional international transporter.

Irishdan

Visit site
The OP has spent the last year planning this trip and has been over every little detail a hundred times. The van has been converted internally at significant cost especially for the journey and the horses have more than enough room. The longest travelling time between stops are no more than 4/5 hours with the option to stay as long as is needed at each stay over. The trip has been organised by a well known international horse transporter. The question was about lashing points on the van not advise on travelling horses. 🙄🙄

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Well, we’re not mind readers, so no sad faces please. The OP did mention carrying two horses in her OP, but it now turns out that one horse is a Shetland.

Why not ask the well known international horse transporter about the lashing points?

Irishdan

Visit site
Well, we’re not mind readers, so no sad faces please. The OP did mention carrying two horses in her OP, but it now turns out that one horse is a Shetland.

Why not ask the well known international horse transporter about the lashing points?

Where does mind reading come into it? OP was asking a question about the van not about the horses. 😐 As has been pointed out the Horse Transporting company do not use vans, hence the question was asked on here. 😁