Travelling Problem

rdavies

Visit site
I'm having a problem travelling my horse in a trailer. He is fine when going straight or round left hand bends. On right hand bends no matter how slow the driver is going, he is virtually falling over and struggling to keep his balance. This weekend he lost both back shoes in a trailer and slightly cut just above the top of his hooves. This is even with bandages, gamgee and over-reach boots on the front and back legs. Nothing major, just worrying for all concerned.
He travels with his normal buddy who is very calm and couldn't be a better travel companion

He's got a cataract in his near side eye and we've never been sure how much vision he's got in this eye but I don't know if this would contribute to the issue, maybe a balance problem.

I've never seen a horse do this and he's generally been fine to travel in the past and I've had his back checked which all seemed fine. I am at a loss to know what to do other than to try him in more solid transport like a lorry. Just thought I'd ask you in case anyone has seen it before or if you know anyone whose had the same problem.

EllieBeast

Visit site
Hi, I went through this exact thing with my mare (apart from her problem was with left hand bends). She now only travels with the partition taken out, and full width breach bars put in. Now she has all the space in the trailer she travels perfectly again. Would def recommend trying it. Good luck!
EB

L&M

Visit site
Ditto the above - my cob could only travel on his own with the partition removed - with the partition in he would do exactly as you described and know how scary it is!

rdavies

Visit site
Thanks very much for all the replies. They are really useful :)

My other friend has just reminded me that he travelled with her horse on the right hand side of the trailer rather than the left once and he seemed to be fine so maybe worth a try.

I will try having just him in without a partition as suggested also.

Angua2

Visit site
I have a similar problem with my mare on left hand bends, and after a good journey with another horse have the problem pinned to the camber of the roads and the weighting of the trailer. If my mare has another horse in the trailer she is fine and only has issue if I go into a corner to fast or the camber of the road is very wrong. On her own she seems to stumble all over the place.
With this in mind she went out last weekend with her new friend 10 bales of straw. The result was the same as if she had a friend in there. I also invested in a cctv from e-bay for £40 and my friend kept an eye on her on the journey and reported that she had her legs in the correct position and that she was fine even when she threw herself onto the partition and gave an almighty bang.