Travelling tips for a 6 month foal in a HB401

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
We will be picking up my foal in October using our HB401 trailer. I will be lining out the window so it's not a visibleescape route and will be shutting all doors on the journey. I am unsure if the breast and breach bars are best left in to keep the stability/ strength of the trailer. The foal will be travelled loose with a layer of bedding. Any tips to make the journey ( approx 75 mins) as safe and stress free as possible? Nor sure how weaned the foal will be at that point might be fist time properly separated out of view of each other when I pick her up. Any tips or advice gratefully received it's a long time since I had a foal.

pinkypug1

Visit site
Personally I would keep breast bar in should You need to unexpectedly brake suddenly it will offer some protection to horse flying to the front. I would just keep all doors closed, foal loose and a good deep bed

sport horse

Visit site
If the foal is not weaned then get the mare and foal brought to you, put in safe stable and remove mare and it can go home in the same vehicle in which it arrived. (sedated if necessary) Worth hiring knowledgeable transporter.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I moved a friend's six month old foal in my large two horse herring bone trailer. The partition secured to the side, so it could operate as a single loosebox. We had lots of bedding, and the thing was a steel, reinforced beast of a trailer. I had Ford F-250 with a 5.4L V8 engine.

As you might have guessed, we were not in the UK. Here, I don't know. Towing is terrifying when you don't have 5L V8s. The 3.5t boxes are far more convincing than most of the trailers I've encountered.