Travelling to shows - bad weather

zoelouisem

Visit site
Supposed to traveling daughter and pony to show tomorrow. For quailifers plus really need to get her out as she's had a bit of a holiday and got pony of the year and blue chip championships in the next few months.
Any weather wise especially winds how bad does it get before you say no safer to stay home?

zoelouisem

Visit site
In a lorry quite a bit of motorway looking now to see if I can avoid it but think it goes through the lez in London and my lorry not complient.

conniegirl

Visit site
I took my Lorry out for an hour and a half across the top of the Yorkshire moors on Monday in 50 mph winds! I was taking my horse to the vets but let me tell you now it was not fun at all! Horrifically stressfull

zoelouisem

Visit site
I'm still undecided not an early leave so will make a decision in the morning.
It's across the top of London on the m25 so not as bad as Yorkshire moores!!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Do you have any bridges that close in high winds in your area. I usually use that as an indication. If they are closed to high siders then usually I don't fancy motorway towing.

zoelouisem

Visit site
No bridges and quite inland in a lorry not towing if that makes much difference guy who teaches daughter said its not going to be that bad not a bad trip pony needs get out and stop been such a whimp!! Lol
Rain doesn't bother me and its indoor warm up and jumping indoors too it's the wind I don't like.
Didn't used but had a crappy trip to Wales in the summer and drove across the Severn bridge in the wind which was horrid!!

Addicted to Hunting

Visit site
I've travelled quite a few times in some pretty strong winds, not always the nicest, but not bad, allow more time for the journey and go at the speed you feel safe. Have to say I feel safer not on motorways. Last time I drove in pretty strong winds was mainly motorway to go hunting can't say I enjoyed it that much but just drove at a sensible speed and kept myself calm with the radio, alltho I only have a 3.5 lorry it's a pretty high one so can catch in the wind.

zoelouisem

Visit site
It's a 13.2 pony in a 3.5 ton horsebox she's very good travelling. No totally agree show isn't worth been safe.
Just trying to find where people draw the line and me been a whimp.
Based in south east Windsor traveling 50 miles east but not near the coast pretty in land.
I don't drive fast I will happily sit at what speed is safe anyway. And it's m25 mid morning leave so can guarantee will be slow with traffic as it always is!!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I don't think it will be as bad going, but it's forecast over 50mph winds by mid/late morning and then add heavy rain by late afternoon.
Best to check again in the morning, there are some horrid open bits on the M25 where cross winds can really buffet you.

zoelouisem

Visit site
Yer that's the thing can make a decision tomorrow I'm in work first thing on a yard so I'm out in it will be easy to judge, got to get to junction 26. Rain really doesn't bother me just dependent on the wind really. Bloody weather always ruins plans!!

claracanter

Visit site

hibshobby

Visit site
I wouldn't in a trailer, but probably would in a lorry. I've towed a trailer in 25 mph wind on a motorway and that was enough for me. I think everything is more stable in a lorry.
But of course, if it's not right for you, it's not right.

PorkChop

Visit site
I tow a trailer, my limit - unless an emergency - is 30mph winds up to 50mph gusts.

I would try to avoid as much motorway as I could, and allow more time so that I could drive slower.

It is very important that you feel comfortable and confident though, so if you are worried I wouldn't advise.

lme

Visit site
Travelled pretty much where you are going today with a trailer and it was OK. Was a bit windy but we were going to the RVC for an emergency op so didn't have a choice.

zoelouisem

Visit site
I did it going there was fine a few gusts but not to bad, coming home was worse although still doable I wouldn't go to far in wind like that again but wasn't to bad. Home safe and sound and luckily pony it a rock traveling always helps!!

Twiglet

Visit site
I absolutely hate driving my lorry in high winds. Yesterday I didn't have much choice as had to get two horses home from a bootcamp in Gloucestershire, but was dreading the journey a lot. As it happened it wasn't as bad as I expected - I pretty much just stuck to 50mph and spent about an hour tucked in behind a Waitrose lorry (with decent stopping distance etc) letting him take the brunt of the forward wind. My arms still ached from steering when I got back but the horses strolled off happily so I think they had a smooth journey, which is what it's all about.

MagicMelon

Visit site
It really depends, for me I live on top of a hill so its pretty much always windy up here - I have to ask someone how windy it is down the hill and then make a judgement! I don't go out in gusty wind or anything particularily windier than normal. I tow a trailer although to be honest I dont see much difference as I bet lorries catch the wind badly too. I definately wouldn't go on motorways if windy (luckily we have none up here!). My main worry is that the wind could strengthen while at the show, you've still got to get home safely too!