Travelling with a mirror...?

rara007

Visit site
Anyone tried it?!?
New horse is used to doing things with companions. So far (after first journey!) I've been humouring him and taking a companion. He's fine there working, nice and focused etc. and so far we've not stayed away to see how long it'd take him to settle without 'his' companion but I expect he will- he's not a baby. BUT we don't want him tucking up too much travelling- we're planning a quite a few events over 100 miles with the furthest being just shy of 1k miles so he's going to spend a fair time on the box and end up pretty lean (and get ulcers!) if he stresses about that every 3 weeks or so during the season. I can just carry on with a companion but I'm lazy in that I'd rather not have 2 to care for at an away show when I only need 1 if possible! Plus lorry space is likely to be tight. Brainwave that some horses stable with a mirror- anyone tried this theory travelling!?

Picture of the beast with his wild little companion- who by chance is FEI passported so would quite enjoy a season as being number XXXB making chaos as he goes.
48921754_10161068361920648_1757968060288860160_n.jpg

Last edited:

Lintel

Visit site
Sorry not tried it but have seen it work wonders with horses in boxes that wouldn't settle alone.
Personally if it was me I'd take the companion- because he looks adorable!

be positive

Visit site
I have suggested using one to two owners, the first horse was stressy in the stable as well as traveling if he could not see another horse, it worked well for him in both situations he loved his mirror and spent ages by it, the second was a bad traveler if alone and it seemed to help but it may have been that he was just getting a little better on each outing.

I would try and see how you go, you may need to move it to get the right position if it doesn't work instantly, the other thing that helped the second one was haylage rather than hay for the journeys.