Travelling woes......

L&M

Visit site
My partners horse has suddenly started to lose balance in the trailer, typically going round left hand bends, however carefully or slowly we approach them. It started a couple of weeks ago and when we took him out today he managed to stand on himself and damage the partition. He came out of the trailer lathered in sweat too but doesn't appear unduly stressed. On our return journey he was no better - we swopped sides but made no difference, although he had eaten all his hay by the time we had got back to the yard!

There have been no changes to the trailer, tyre pressures, or towing vehicle. In our eyes he is a fit and healthy 9 yr old, sound and jumping well and happy in his ridden work. The trailer is an extra large Richardson so he has plenty of space.

We have owned him for approx a year and generally been a good traveller, and travelling weekly. We can't take out the partition sadly as he travels with my cob......

Any ideas? Thanks

neddy man

Visit site
Not legal but take him a shortride with left and right turns with someone stood still in the back of the trailer to observe.Or tape a phone in the trailer and video him face on, then vertical, or from behind and watch the videos

irishdraft

Visit site
The answer will be to take out the partition. You can travel horses together without a partition. I used to do this quite often as my mare would not travel with a partition so would put my other horse in next to her it was always ok but I would only do it with horsrs that get on together

Theocat

Visit site
The answer will be to take out the partition. You can travel horses together without a partition. I used to do this quite often as my mare would not travel with a partition so would put my other horse in next to her it was always ok but I would only do it with horsrs that get on together

That sounds terrifying to me, frankly. What happens if you have an accident? How do you safely unload two scared and/or injured horses at the side of the road when they're in one space without a partition?

ZondaR

Visit site
My horse finds it impossible to balance with a partition so I never use it. He used to fall over exactly as you describe and started refusing to go into the horse box. After I took out the partition there have been problems. Before I took out the partition I observed him trying to stand without touching it. He was keeping his feet very close together and simply couldn't balance. Without the partition he spreads and braces his back legs and travels solid as a rock. I do not put another horse in the box with him so that he has enough room to stand how he wants.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
My first thought would be to film him so you can better see what is going on.

With that evidence my next consideration would be with the vet (if you are absolutely sure the trailer is ok) as it is such a change in behaviour for him.

PoniesRock

Visit site
If it’s a new or sudden change in behaviour and towing car and trailer is all good then I’d get a good physio to have a look at your horse. It might be that he needs tweaking somewhere. A muscle that’s being used more so when balancing while travelling might be sore and causing him to struggle to hold himself.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
A friends horse started doing this after years travelling in her 7.5t lorry which was herringbone layout. Physio diagnosed some issues with his neck causing him to be unbalanced (he was an older horse) so I’d definitely get vet/ physio to check him out. She found selling lorry and replacing with a 3.5t rear facing one helped the issue.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

I thought it was against the law to travel horses without a partition between them? At least any paid transporter cannot do this with animals over 8 months.
Yes travel one with no partition.
Travel 2 without partition is ruddy stupid and dangerous!

welshcobmad

Visit site
My friends horse started doing this every time we turned left on the way home from a clinic one day - me towing. We got out several times, put hay under his back legs etc in case slipping but couldn't see a cause. Sat at traffic lights a friend following (luckily) rang my passenger saying something had fallen off under the box - half a foot or so of the wooden plank flooring dropped out!!!! I was towing a friends trailer who insisted the floor was sound. Needless to say we pulled over & were rescued & I've only ever towed with my aluminium floored box since. The horse knew & felt there was an issue & was panicking even though we couldn't see or feel an issue with the floor. Luckily he still travels but only ever on the right hand side of the box now - ever since that say never will he load to the left.

Louby

Visit site
As others have said check the trailer and if all ok try without a partition to see if it makes a difference. Years ago we borrowed a trailer to take my then seasonned travelled pony out for the day. He loaded but was shaking and just not happy at all. We decided not to go anywhere, returned the trailer telling then what had happened and a week later got a call to say the floor had gone through when they used the trailer, luckily no injuries to their horse. My pony must have sensed there was something wrong and we had a very lucky escape.