TREADMILL

GTs

Visit site
How many people put their dogs on the treadmill. Bella goes on there for between 20-40 minutes a day, at speeds between 4-5 mph and at various inclines. We started doing it because she was getting a bit naughty (chewed the couch) with the lack of exercise. Initially she was not a huge fan, but she goes running down to the basement and sits right on it waiting for it to start, and it really has taken the edge of her. She has not chewed anything since, and is quite happy to sleep while we are out.

ann-jen

Visit site
Not at the moment but now Josh has had his cruciate repaired he'll be starting at the hydrotherapy pool where there is also a water treadmill. I guess once his leg is a bit better healed he might get to use it to build some of the muscle back up on his leg.

springfallstud

sfs-stud.com
My mum has just got one for her GSD!!!!! She walks her for 40 mins + everyday up the feilds and woods and a quicky round the block in the evening but the dog is very active and mum cant manage much more than that as her hips hurt so it just gives the dog that bit more which i think for them is a great idea and i know many GSD owners use them also
smile.gif

idefixbis

Visit site
I can see why a treadmill would be good in that case, but only if the dog gets proper walks.
I would be worried about people just using the treadmill as an excuse not to walk their dogs and then what a miserable life it would be for the dog.
TBH I think that people shouldn't get dogs that they know will be too energetic for their lifestyles.

GinaB

Visit site
Afraid I agree with Johanna.

Why does your dog have a lack of exercise? Do you not take her out for walks? My dog gets walked everyday and is out for much longer at the weekends in areas were she can get off the lead and have a good blast while out with the labradors.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I know a lot of GSD owners use them to get their dogs show ring fit. In your Mums situation it seems a good way of giving her bitch more exercise and it sounds as if she still has plenty of time with your Mum as well. I don't like the idea of these treadmills being the only form of exercise for the dog, and when they first became fashionable I think this was the case in some of the big kennels. To me a lot of the pleasure of dog owning is walking them. However I have been told that the dogs love using them and used to run and jump on them at every opportunity.

prose

Visit site
Am I right in thinking that you live in a cold part of the States? Is this the issue? If so, an indoor doggie daycare would be so much more fun for the dog. Or buy your dog a down coat.

It's pretty obvious, but dogs love to be outdoors and exercising. I take mine out in all weathers, and she's only a wee thing with a single coat.

foxviewstud

www.foxviewstud.co.uk
frined of mine uses it for her dogs before she takes them out, as one gets very funny outside not aggressive just really stresses she finds if she puts him on there first he enjoyes his walk a lot more as not enough energy to stress

GTs

Visit site
We take our dog out at every opportunity - whether it is on a walk, or to the park, or to her parents property in Vermont which every dog just loves (she comes out with the ATVs, comes skiing, just a weekend full of exercise). But right now with the weather (down to -20C), the salted roads, and our footpaths have 2+ feet of snow on them - as much as we would love to take her on a walk, we really can't. The doggy daycares around here are nothing like what we had in CO, not only are the playrooms small, but they have hard floors too -

When summer comes she will be walked everyday - though she will probably still go on her treadmill as she enjoys it.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
When I go on my treadmill, my lurcher comes and stands next to me with a very confused face on! If I'm running outside and he's with me, he stocks close and just heels me, so I guess he does the same on the treadmill. You can see his confusion, 'she's running, and I'm standing still - I don't understand'!